I need a kicker for my Larson Escape 213 o/b

dao

Cadet
I am picking it up this Saturday, however I will need a 9.9HP for NJ's smaller lakes. The only question is position...

high on the left
369.jpg

left side of Mercury 225
370.jpg

low on left
379.jpg

beauty shot. :)
396.jpg

Any thoughts or suggestions?

thank you in advance,
David

dao

Cadet
Re: I need a kicker for my Larson Escape 213 o/b

I am looking to go with a remote control throttle and a bar, linking the two motors for steering.... If possible.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You have a problem. First you will need a 9.9 motor, a custom lift bracket, controls and a method to steer the motor.

You can look in the iboats store for "outboard bracket" and that should get you started. The sum of the parts and motor will equal or exceed the price of a small boat and motor combination.

That is a beautiful boat.

The only other option is to remove your motor and get a 9.9 4 stroke that will fit the transom length and hook to your controls. Then..... once you are done on that lake return to a garage and swap them back.

I do not see any reasonable cost solution.

I could be missing something and someone else will jump in.

Steering stuff http://www.iboats.com/E-Z-Steer-Aux...54837501--session_id.889977202--view_id.38357

dao

Cadet

BobVT,

Thank you for the response.

A decent used 9.9HP with remote can be found for about a thousand (a tiller model would be much less). It is the mounting that concerns me the most.

IT would seem that the optimum position for the mounting bracket is on a curved portion. I am not certain if I can go higher or lower and use a height adjustable mount.

Note the right side and motor position:

380.jpg

A top photo.... why not :)

377.jpg

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

A 14 foot fishing boat with a 9.9hp would be a proud addition right next to the big boat in the back yard....... :)
Really, a 9.9 will push the 21 footer about 5 mph. Are you going to be happy with that?

dao

Cadet

A 14 foot fishing boat with a 9.9hp would be a proud addition right next to the big boat in the back yard....... :)
Really, a 9.9 will push the 21 footer about 5 mph. Are you going to be happy with that?

I could deal with it. It is only for two of my local reservoirs (The warden chases down little boats who make any form of wake), and there are those with the same size boats and pontoons floating along and fishing. A 14' will not hold my wife and three children... this will work, if I can get some ideas for mounting the kicker.

I am about an hour from places where I can let the monster breath.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I think your only practical option to mount a kicker to that boat is to have a custom bracket made. I think that you will either need to design/build it yourself or find a shop that does aluminum fabrication and pay them to make a bracket that is stout enough to handle the weight and thrust of the motor.

Looking at the places to mount it, I think the only other option would be to actually cut into the fiberglass and make a small motor well where the platform is currently on the Port side of the big outboard.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You "might" be able to use something like this http://www.iboats.com/Garelick-Alum...58207141--session_id.090198086--view_id.38235 however, you will have to have a custom base made into the hull and reinforced from the back side.

It would be absolutely permanently attached to the boat then there is the question of will it lower the motor enough.

Yes as stated above a custom bracket could be the only option.

Or how about this for your outboard http://www.iboats.com/Minn-Kota-Tro...8207141--session_id.090198086--view_id.238076 I would go for the biggest and baddest available.

dao

Cadet

I was thinking cutting the trim on the port side of the 225 and placing a height adjustable bracket. The curved part of the transom, would probably require a custom made unit. I don't know if there are other ways of doing it.

If the 160lbs unit would run a few hours on a charge, it would be phenomenal! Not quite a 9.9hp gas unit, but certainly interesting

dao

Cadet

Rather than a custom bracket to manage the curve of the transom, could I build it out flat with fiber and resin so that it is flat?

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

They make a 220lb unit as well.

Even better!!! I've been thinking about a kicker for my center console, but we don't really get out in the gulf enough to worry about it being large. I figure that would push us to the nearest ramp with no problem. My transom has a funny shape to it too and I wasn't sure how I was going to handle it because I wanted steering too. That engine mount solves all that and I could use it on any of my boats. Can you imagine a 220lb thrust on a 10ft jon? LOL Better hang on!!!! :D

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I would think that Larson has dealt with this situation before. Contact them.

dao

Cadet

Even better!!! I've been thinking about a kicker for my center console, but we don't really get out in the gulf enough to worry about it being large. I figure that would push us to the nearest ramp with no problem. My transom has a funny shape to it too and I wasn't sure how I was going to handle it because I wanted steering too. That engine mount solves all that and I could use it on any of my boats. Can you imagine a 220lb thrust on a 10ft jon? LOL Better hang on!!!! :D

The batteries needed to feed that thing for any length of time would hefty.

In addition, there is that odd comparison of thrust versus HP.