I might have come across a deal...

eeboater

Commander
A gal at work mentioned that they may be selling an old pop-up camper that they never use anymore. By 'old' I mean from 1979. BUT, the good thing is that I can track the ownership of this thing back over 17 years. The current owner (my coworker) owned it for about 7 years, and the previous owner owned it about 10. The PO was a family friend of my coworker. So, I have a good idea of this camper's past.<br /><br />The best part, its only $300!!! I'm thinking about buying it, pulling it apart and cleaning it up. Then I can get a year or two's worth of use out of it. And trade it in on a boat! :D <br /><br />Sean

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: I might have come across a deal...

EE, be ready to replace the canvas on it.<br />It might look good, but if it has not been used in a while, with it being that old, the canvas will rot, look where the zippers are, they have a way of pulling loose from the canvas also.<br /><br />Is it the pop-up type or crank up type?

D

DJ

SBN, gave GREAT advice. Without the canvas, it becomes a utility trailer.<br /><br />I just sold a 1966 Ted Williams (Sears) two room tent. The canvas was PERFECT. It was NEVER put away wet.<br /><br />You might be lucky.

RichP1269

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We love our tent trailer. It is a 94 Dutchman, has a sink, fresh water tank, 12 volt / LPG refer, and built in 12 volt to 110 inverter. My wife will finally come camping with me and our boys now that she does'nt have to sleep in a tent.<br /><br />Like previously stated, do a thorough check of the canvas and lift system. Canvas that has not been cared for can rot quickly. Make sure there are no frayed cables in the lift system and grease all pully and crank points.<br /><br />You will want to replace the foam mattresses. They were generally made from 4 inch foam, and it breaks down after only a few years. We replaced ours with futon pads. More comfortable than the foam and just as thick.<br /><br />I would also reccomend replacing the support / leveling feet. The sliding drop down kind just are not worth the hassle. Go to your local wrecking yard and pick up 4 scissor jacks, the kind that come in a Honda or Toyota are perfect, and weld them to the four corners of the frame. This will make leveling the trailer so much easier.

eeboater

Commander

Yeah, I'm going to check all that stuff out. from what the owner has told me, it was used probably once a month every month for a while (except maybe for the winter). I check out the canvas and see how bad it is. I really am hoping it is in decent shape. I'm not looking for anything spectacular, and I am not planning on anything spectacular. At ~300 bucks, I can't demand that much, right? <br /><br />I'm hoping I am 'lucky' like DJ said. I think they are bringing it down from their land up north this weekend.<br /><br />I believe it is the popup type but I am not sure yet.<br /><br />Sean

Twidget

Commander

Look underneath it at the floor in the corners. If its had a leak and the wood rots in the corners, the lift system will be on the ground. <br /><br />I really like mine, they are great. Hope you are lucky with the condition.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

I sold a vintage Coleman unit a couple of years ago, my friends replaced the canvas this last winter for $350. Still in the ballpark for an old camper like that. Goferit. Chief ;)

Tyme2fish

Commander

See my post in Stupid Human Tricks; Subject "Flying Camper"

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

EE, if it has them latches that hold it down, look at them real close. The wood they are screwed into will rot and they get loose.<br />If they come loose going down the road, instant pop-up and pop-out.<br />Just check it over good.

Ralph 123

Captain

Why trade it for a boat when you can turn it into one?<br /><br />
ba_2.JPG
<br /><br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=003398 <br /><br /> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26434&item=4560846349&rd=1 <br /><br /> :D

eeboater

Commander

Cool, thanks for the heads up SBN<br /><br />Sean

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Twidget:<br /> Look underneath it at the floor in the corners. If its had a leak and the wood rots in the corners, the lift system will be on the ground. <br /><br />I really like mine, they are great. Hope you are lucky with the condition.
What about the transom and stringers?? :p

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Parents bought a 1972 TradesWinds pop up back in 1975. <br />The thing looked new, But...<br />The canvas on the top surfaces was shot and leaked like a seive.<br />The previous owners left it set up all summer, for 3 summers, under pine trees.<br /><br />Mom was able to save it by going to IGL Wisconsin (84th? and fonddulac ave).<br />She bought their best canvas and used an industrial contact cement to glue a new layer of canvas over the old stuff. It worked and looked great, and we used it for another 6 or 7 years.

eeboater

Commander

Very cool... Well, I will post some pics of how she is and let you guys know! Thanks for the tip on the canvas shop roscoe; I also know a guy who owns a shoe repair shop in Green Bay who will be able to help me repair/make new canvas.<br /><br />Sean

NYMINUTE

Captain

ee..................... Just Buy the D*mn Boat already. What'd I tell you before. Get themn both and BS your way outta it with Mrs. ee<br />Just Bring her some chocolates. <br /><br /><br />signed:<br />The Voice of Reason! (Yea right) :cool:

NYMINUTE

Captain

New word: Themn....means Them both of em. Look out Webster.

eeboater

Commander

NYM... you seriously want me to die a horrific death don't you?!!? :D :D

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> NYM... you seriously want me to die a horrific death don't you?!!? :D :D
Chocolates ee Chocolates. They make women forgiving. Besides.... if she kills you, no more Chocolates. Decisions!!