I Joined the Club, I want my Certificate !

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Please send me my plaque or my certificate, for I have joined the club...

Spent Saturday working on the boat, still have motor issues. Air in the lines, spluttering at mid RPM. Hooked the fuel line to a 6 gal portable tank, got it free of air. Ready to water test it.

Woke up Sunday morning early (before the sun), thinking about taking it out. Being the nice person I am, I let my brother sleep until daylight. As we did taste test a few brewski's on Saturday night. Least I could do.

Hooked the boat up, chains, lights, locked in the ball. Ran the motor on muffs for about 5 minutes, strapped down, winched tight.... Stopped for ice and bottled water. I walked around the boat twice wondering what the hell we forgot. Oh Well, guess we will figure it out when I get there.

15 minute drive to the ramp, pull in and get ready, Low Tide. Slick Ramp.

Brother backs the 4Runner down and I tilt down the motor, starts right up.

As he starts pulling away, I realize the we Don't have the Bilge Plug in. I am motioning for him to back the trailer back down to put the boat on it.

Fortunately, bilge pump is really spitting out the water.... get the front of the boat on the first cross bar, throw the bow line to my brother as I am reaching for the plug.

Why didn't he catch it ? The 4Runner is actually sliding down the ramp toward the boat all by itself.

The look on my brothers face as he is staring at me and actually pushing on the back of the truck to try and stop it. That is Priceless...

If I hadn't been in Panic mode by then, it would have been really funny.

I think at that point the only thing that went right (dumb luck) is that I fell on the throttle and the boat went into reverse and the truck stopped moving on it's own.

I am trying to get the boat tied to the shallow end of the dock, he gets in the truck and gets it off of the slick ramp. Once he runs back from the parking lot, I put the plug and wrench into my pocket.

Then as I try to toss the line to him, I stepped though my teak wood transom shield that I had forgot to lift (destroyed), but did manage to toss it as I fell on my back into the middle of the boat.

I really wish I had all of this on video... must have looked like a 3 stooges routine.

Did wade in chest deep and put the plug in, got the water out of the boat and had a good day on the water.

Hopefully never go through that lesson again... Use a brass screw-in from the outside type plug.

Going to drill a hole through the square part, chaining it to the steering wheel. If it is hanging there, then I am just being stupid again....

Will also take a rubber plug from the inside, so going to drop one in the bilge and leave it there...just in case.

Last edited:

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer
Re: I Joined the Club, I want my Certificate !

It never fails, at one point or another everybody forgets the plug. At least you got it out of the way, with no drastic results. Where do you boat in Tampa? Ever head out to Beer Can Island or Egmont?

exciter

Cadet

Funny story! Gotta say, though. There are no certificates for that trick. Well, maybe one for saving the Toyota, but you have to check with them. Leaving a plug out, well, that's all too common, my friend. I cannot count how many times I've done it myself in 30+ years of boating. I got one of these Plug Bosses a couple of years ago and it hasn't happened since. Probably one of the better boating investments I have made.

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/4670-drain-plug-bronze-1-2-npt-threaded-from-mjs-manufacturing.html

9386731.jpg

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

As mentioned there's no certificate or plaque. We are a very secretive fraternity. Thanks for sharing and welcome aboard. ;)

RoyR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice, too funny! :)

WizeOne

Commander

Funny story! Gotta say, though. There are no certificates for that trick. Well, maybe one for saving the Toyota, but you have to check with them. Leaving a plug out, well, that's all too common, my friend. I cannot count how many times I've done it myself in 30+ years of boating. I got one of these Plug Bosses a couple of years ago and it hasn't happened since. Probably one of the better boating investments I have made.

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/4670-drain-plug-bronze-1-2-npt-threaded-from-mjs-manufacturing.html

9386731.jpg

If I had my plug up on the crank like that, there would only be 200 gallons of water in the boat before I noticed it! I always back the boat in well before I release the bow cable.:eek:

Here is where I put mine. This way I would see it when I remove the stern straps just before I back the boat into the water.

Drainplugonskieye2.jpg

exciter

Cadet

If I had my plug up on the crank like that, there would only be 200 gallons of water in the boat before I noticed it! I always back the boat in well before I release the bow cable.:eek:

Here is where I put mine. This way I would see it when I remove the stern straps just before I back the boat into the water.

Drainplugonskieye2.jpg

If I carried a plug like that, I'd be lucky to still find it there when I got to he ramp considering road conditions around these parts. My condolences on your owning a roller trailer, btw. Your right though. That's something I had not considered. With a roller trailer your had better not go near the winch handle until your boat is already in the water.

notaz3

Seaman Apprentice

I keep mine in a little waterproof carry case, along with a wrench and the keys to both the trailer lock, and the boat. There is no hooking the trailer up to the truck without the keys.

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bummer, no plaque. Maybe I will put one together & get federal funding to (secretly) distribute them.

I am using the brass screw type plug. Going to take two and drill holes through the square portion. Small chains through both, one on the steering wheel, one with the tongue lock key.

Also going to mount the 2nd bilge pump, an already have new 3700 gph, now, not later.

Last edited:

cribber

Lieutenant

My cure is to never, ever, leave the driveway without physically touching the plug in the boat. My backup is when the plug is out it's always secured in a small crescent wrench at the back of the SUV so when I open the hatch and I'm backing down the ramp I better set that wrench without the plug in it. Anything else and I'm hitting the brakes before the water. And call me anal... I have two spare brass plugs in the engine compartment of the boat and two in the tool kit up front. Okay... and a fifth spare rubber stopper hanging on the spare key in the bilge area. If ya find yourself without one, I can hook a brother (or sista) up at the ramp. Hate to say it... but yes, I am that guy.;)

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

There was only one solution for me. A boat with a self bailing deck.

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

A self bailing deck ? I still have a lot to learn and will admit I don't understand that. Please explain how that works.

As a side note, when I bought the 3700 gph bilge pump & the float switch as a backup, my brother gave me $ht for spending the money. Now he wants to know why I haven't installed it.

Guess he can't swim as well as he thought.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Well, I know there are two clubs, those that have forgotten, and those that are still going to. To date, I have never forgotten. I leave my plug in the splashwell and always put it in during my prep routine. Remove straps, insert plug, take engine off of trail locks and lower 1/2 way. Have not forgot yet...

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

Self bailing typically deck is slightly above water line with two holes cut into transom with rubber flaps on outside to allow water to drain out and keep it from coming in if your backing down etc. This only works if the upper deck is sealed completely or if any access to fuel tanks or bilge is thru sealed screwed access portals. This configuration is popular with center and side console boats powered with outboard engines.

Hope that helps

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Self bailing typically deck is slightly above water line with two holes cut into transom with rubber flaps on outside to allow water to drain out and keep it from coming in if your backing down etc. This only works if the upper deck is sealed completely or if any access to fuel tanks or bilge is thru sealed screwed access portals. This configuration is popular with center and side console boats powered with outboard engines.

Sounds good, but my deck isn't sealed. water runs from front to back via teak covered storage compartment's. A single opening allows water to flow between these. And if the boat is sitting level, the water is level, have to run some rpm's, at transon down to move the water to the bilge pump.

Yort29

Recruit

Luckily I haven't joined the club yet, After every use i clip the plug on my bow safety chain and let it dangle there until i get to the ramp. Once i get to the ramp when i go to unhook the safety chain my plug is practically in my hand. So far this technique has not failed me. It is either in the boat ready for water or it's on the chain.

grahamh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I came very, VERY close today. Had the boat in almost in the water (the transom was just touching it). I got out to unclip the boat and realized I'd forgotten. Luckily, there was no one at the ramp in front of me, so I just pulled forward, put the plug in, and then launched.

REALLY glad I remembered. My bilge pump wouldn't win any power contests.

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe I am doing it wrong, but I don't unclip the boat until it floats off of the trailer.

I am going to put one on the steering where or shift controler so that when I start the motor on muffs, i will see it.

Also going to put a spare on the key chain for the trailer ball lock so that it gets in the way.

I replaced the open ended bilge plug with a plug with a tube inside, going to throw a lockdown plug in the bilge to be put in place in an "emergency".

Has got to be better than wading chin deep in water to put it in....but as my in-progress check list will attest to, i becoming an anal sob...