I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas - Question

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know it has been asked and answered before but - How do you get broken bolts out of the block or head???<br /><br />I haved drilled through the bolt in the Thermo housing and filled it with Kroil. I let it soak and filled it again and let it soak. I can not get it to budge with an easy out. Then I have 5 more to go in the block. :confused:

Liam

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas - Question

I don't know the name for it, but there is a reverse thread bit that is inserted into a drilled hole in the center of the bolt. As it tightens into the bolt it loosens it - especiall if you have had it soaking in penetrating oil. Should be available in any auto parts store.<br /><br />liam

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

Look into "Heli-coil" or "Rosan" threaded inserts. They require a specific size drill-out,re-tap,and then inserting the new part. This may require changing the bolt size.They are excellent,I have done it many times,as a Navy Tech.

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Liam,<br /> I bought a set of reverse drill bit and easy out combo from Sears (4 sizes for $40). They did not work as far as drilling the bolt out until I drilled a smaller hole first. That is why I drilled all the way through the bolt. The easy out (that is part of the drill bit that runs in reverse) bites in to the bolt but I can not find a small enough wrench to turn the easy out. It was a square headed easy out that is now almost round because every thing kept spreading when I applied pressure to it and rounded the corners off. I am afraid to drill bigger because then I would probably be in to the threads.

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Pursuit,<br /><br /> That may be my only alternative. I have not had a lot of luck with them though (probably because I can not drill strait).

D

DJ

You need the nandle for a tap to work the easy out bit.

petryshyn

Commander

Hi Robert L <br /><br />Its been my experience that bolts broken when trying to remove them are in there for good unless you use heat. The easy out has less chance of getting it out than the original bolt body!<br />>the trick is to drill dead center of bolt<br />>drill size for the appropriate 'easy out'<br />>while trying to back out thread, tap on the easy out with hammer.(forcing it inward<br />>if doesn't come, drill bolt with size slightly under thread size. Pick threads out.<br />>if you drilled off-side, thing are tough!!<br />>drill for the heli-coil recommended size and tap for the insert<br /><br />***when removing the remaining bolts, best odds are using an impact.<br /><br />Good luck :(

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

I DO NOT agree with the above "Do not use heat" expansion And contraction will cause you many problems. The correct drill size and tap recommended by the MFG. of the insert, is the only way to go, take you'r time, save the engine, don't use brute force, and do it right.

alcan

Commander

Hi Robert L.<br /> Stuck bolts are always fun. I use all the tricks mentioned above. I get good results appling gentle heat with a propane torch. As you know the engine warms up and cools down all the time. Take your time. Good luck.

petryshyn

Commander

Ditto alcan:<br />If you use heat, it must be used in moderation. Maybe not recommended for the inexperienced. As Pursuit2150 says, overheating can produce issues.

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

This will be my last response to this issue! Note! what the heat will do, Heat will expand the metal, it would be ok to us on just a bolt head with caution , but with a broken bolt it will expand all of the material around the area. Go with Drill out and re-tap.Good luck.

G DANE

Commander

I have worked out a method which almost always work, but it requires that you can weld. If you stand with a broken bolt, try to TIG weld a drop of metal to end, the weld will attack the bolt, not the aluminium. After doing this several times, weld an old bolt to the end of the broken piece. When everything is cooled down, you can easily turn the broken bolt out. Believe me, it works, even on 25 years old salt water engines !!! A trick to all of you.

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you all for your responses.<br /><br />Pursuit - I know what heat can do.<br /><br />G Dane I can weld but I do not have TIG equipment just Electric ARC AC/DC. The thermostat bolt is small and (now) flush with the housing. I have not attempted the block bolts yet.<br /><br />Schematic - I believe I should have used an impact to start with. Once burnt Twice learnt.

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Robert,<br />Go real easy with the impact wrench. Careful use of heat on the area around the bolt (not the bolt itself) and light impact will usually get them out whole. If you have a 1/4" drive impact wrench......that's the one to use. ;) <br />Good Luck,<br />Backlash