I hit a rock!Now boat won't go.

slolorus1

Cadet
I hit a rock and mangled my prop. I replaced it but now the drive will only stay engaged at very low speeds. I have an '87 force 125 outboard. Does anyone have any idea what I broke? I am a competent and certified auto mechanic, but I am pretty new to boats and drives.

Last edited:

Tadd_P

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: I hit a rock!Now boat won't go.

you might have broke your clutch dog or tore up the gears inside your lower unit good luck with all that lower ends can become very expensive to fix or replace

slolorus1

Cadet

I took the very bottom end off and it seems smooth and tight. Where is the dog clutch? Is it between the motor and the rest of the lower end? Will I need to take the whole engine off? I have ordered a manual, but so far nothing seems too complicated. I just don't want to take apart things unnecassarily.

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class

The clutch dogs are on the forward and reverse gears in the gear cluster. They have one surface that looks like a ramp and the other flat and square. It's the square edges that you are concerned with since that's what engages.

slolorus1

Cadet

I have the lower unit off but I can't seem to get it apart. Does the drive shaft need to come out or will the whole gear assembly slide out the rear? I am hesitant to force anything not having seen one taken apart before.