I have spark when i bypass Ignition safety switch

Dave-115hp-1970-115083

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought a new ignition parts for my 115 hp evinrude: stator, pulse pack, coil and one of which was not on the motor (ignition safety switch)

the previous owner ran the boat without it and when i replaced all of the ignition and added it, the boat has no spark.

the service manual bench test shows that the ignition safety switch is defective because I my test light does not light up at all.

i have spark when i bypass it ( #7 to #9 jumper)

what does it protect? is it okay to bypass it? should i leave it in place and just run a jumper wire??

Thanks dave

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: I have spark when i bypass Ignition safety switch

It protects the pulse pack from high voltages, spikes, etc. Considering the price of a new pulse pack, I think I would prefer to buy a new safety circuit to protect it.

yoba439

Cadet

I had the same problem with the old ign.safety switch wired in until I jumped wire from 7 to 9 also and now it sparks.However I am unable to locate a new safety switch OEM #0383950 because my 4 wire safety circuit box failed both test per the manual. Did you find it new or buy a used one? I would love to have the schematic for the internals of the box so I could make one. Or a cross number to buy it new. Thanks

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

In the Rapair catalog, they recommend that the switch be removed when using their pack.The main thing on this engine is that all electrical connections are tight. Don't us wing nuts' on the battery posts.