I have no idea...

Jeepnn

Seaman Apprentice
I have no idea what I have gotten myself into. I have been given a 15' 1960's or 70's era fiberglass boat w/ a motor of unknown power or confirmed make. I belive it is a West Bend but I have no clue as to how to confirm this. I have done little work on outboards in the past beyond basic maintanance. I also have no idea the make or year of the boat because the I.D. plate at the rear has been damaged beyond recognition. Whatever damage that happened on that corner it was beautifully repaired minus the I.D. plate.<br /><br />Any help would be greatly apreciated.<br /><br />Mike M.<br />Richmond, VA

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: I have no idea...

Most outboards have an id plate usually on the mounting bracket.A model name might help determine a make.West Bend also built many motors for Sears Elgin line.<br />Beginn9ing in 58 the first digits indicate horse power ie; a 280 is 2 hp.58.3580 is 35 hp 58.<br /> 62 motors appear not to follow the code.as a 61 40 hp is a 40163.If it is a Westbend Sears motor<br />the Model number will begin with 571.

Jeepnn

Seaman Apprentice

Update:<br /><br />OK, after much powerwashing to remove years of dirt and grime I believe I have a Starcraft boat with a 45hp West Bend Motor. I was unable to locate any ID Plate on either but the motor cover did have the West Bend emblem and the number 45 on the front was painted over. I found a difference in the paint on the rear that upon further inspection was the outline of the word STARCRAFT and it looks like an arrow through the middle of the name. I am going to keep reseaching because the more I find the more I get excited about the project. Thanks for any advice!<br /><br />Mike M.<br />Richmond, VA

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

Can you post a picture of the motor with the cowl removed?

Jeepnn

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the intrest however all is known now. it is a 50hp west bend outboard. I don't have the stats in front of me, but this spring a friend and I are going to start overhauling the boat and motor.

pondjumper

Cadet

i had the same problem! i went to my local fish and boat commission to find out what i neded. the only thing you need to know is who had it before you, and if the boat was ever registered! it also sounds like you need a capacity plate also. they can help with that also. they should have a form to help you get the (recommended) maximum capacities for your boat. i am in PA. my plate tells me how many persons or max weight the craft can hold,max hp for the engine, and the hull id#. they should have a web site. do a search for fish and boat commission. that should get ya started