I have given up on my 67 40hp, Anyone selling a good Vintage?

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The title says it all... I have a 67 40hp Lark Selectric shift, which has been the root of all problems for the last 2 years.. I have had horrible luck with this darn motor, but now i have decided to stop throwing money at it and start new.

My boat is a 57' rockholt 15ft runabout, and I need a vintage looking motor to match. I am personally more in favor if the 60's stuff, it looks nicer and is generally more reliable.

Does anyone know of a really good seller, or place. I need something that I won't have to baby all the time, and something that I can count on, so i won't have to be that guy who is always getting towed in...

Thanks in advance...

Salem.Alsudairy@gmail.com

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: I have given up on my 67 40hp, Anyone selling a good Vintage?

Are you parting out your Lark? I need a cowl and prop cone for a 1961 40 hp Lark. Maybe more.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I got a pretty decent Cowl from a 63 40 Lark.. email me at Hogrider@Myway.com. Put cowl in the subject line

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if giving , you can recoup part of your money for a new motor parting the old one out on ebay. i've sold all my junk is was going the toss, on ebay. on the newer engine do yourself a big favor and go to mechanical shift. what is you max hp.

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

What this time, Rennen?

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

For now I dont want to part out the motor. If I end up getting another Big Twin, I would like to keep this one for extra parts. Max HP is 40. The hull is rated at 35, and the transom has been reinforced.

itstippy.. I dont understand?

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Interesting! Can you take some more pictures of the motor and contact me back?

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

I'm curious what happened this time that made you give up on it after working through so many other issues. That's all I meant by "What this time?". I have a '63 Super Seahorse Selectamatic - same motor as yours.

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The thing about this motor is that I picked it up for 50 bucks off of eBay. I initially bought it to learn on and gradually became more familiar with the big twins. I replaced the points, condensers, coils, impeller, lower unit oil, plugs, wires, and put a new head on it, and a new prop.

I work on the damn thing for two weeks to take it out for two hours. Normally it is something stupid that leaves me stranded in the middle of the river, but this time it was different. I had been considering getting something more reliable for a while, and this incident was the straw that broke MY back.

I ran aground in this stupid part of my local river. I should have known better but the water was murky and the channel looked really wide. When it was all said and done I was in 8 inches of water, and SOL. The prop was surprisingly undamaged. But once I got her back into deeper water, I found that the motor wouldn't go into gear. I have yet to check the shear pin, or to see it the prop is spun, but this gave me a definitive reason to consider something else. I am frankly tired of throwing money at this motor that never performs and constantly needs babying. It is the middle of summer and I want to enjoy it, you know?!?!

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

it may be going in gear and just sheered the pin .if prop rubber slips it will idle along but rev when trying to take off and git on plane .

can`t take picks of the foot it is in a 55 gal barrel and i can`t lift it out . will take the hood off and take some picks of the inside .
found a hood in the storage shed where i have some old motor parts . hood loooked good the letters evinrude are missing

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Another motor will keep you out of shallow water. Right?

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I guess it will have to. Not the motor's fault this time, but It still needs to be repaired/or replaced. Right?

Pony

Rear Admiral

A shear pin couldn't be an easier fix......If you finally got it running right, and the shear pin broke, you'd be silly to not fix it and keep this motor until something mechanical goes wrong.................then start looking for something.

I generally keep a baggie of shear pins and cotter pins taped to the inside of the cowling.

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

SHEAR PIN IT WAS. Hot damn...

A 2 and a half dollar part made me walk the boat around an island?!?! Well safe to say I have done the same thing that pony suggested. Now a prop nut, 2 codder pins and 2 shear pins are under my hood.

Funny thing is that was not all that was under the hood. As I was getting it in the tub ready to test run, I found the low speed needle out of the carb down in the tray. WTF??? Now off to the dealer to rebuild that thing again... Thanks everyone for all of your help...