I have a 95 sea ray jet boat and it's not going as fast as the odometer says it could

ou1023

Recruit
go.I can get it up to 30 with 2 ppl on it, but that's it. Seems as tho it's running really hi too, @5 rpms. I just bought this used and wondering what I should do? Any info would help!

emoney

Commander
Re: I have a 95 sea ray jet boat and it's not going as fast as the odometer says it c

First, welcome to iboats. Next, you've got to start diagnosing to figure out where the problem lies, and it could be in a number of places. 30 does indeed seem a little light for that little boat. You should get a tach so you can verify what RPM you're running. As for the issue, I'd start with a Compression Test, then get a spark test and test for spark, have a look at your fuel system from the motor all the way to the tank, and also look at the impeller & wear ring. Loss of power is often an issue in the ride plate seal or excessive wear on the wear ring. However, you really need to do the other 3 tests as they're simple to do, and you don't want to be one of those folks that just throw parts at a problem hoping something sticks. I've know guys that spent hundreds of dollars on their boats without doing a compression test, only to find out later that their powerheard was toast and the money they spent was wasted. WHich SportJet do you have the 90hp or the 120hp?

Nore importantly, you need to get a GPS and measure your speed with those as the onboard speedometers are NOT to be trusted. Oh, and there's plenty boats out there that won't even hit 1/2 of what their "speedometer reads".
Good luck and post back your findings to get the best help.

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: I have a 95 sea ray jet boat and it's not going as fast as the odometer says it c

If its a 90 Sport Jet SeaRader, 30 mph is about all its going to do with two bodies onboard. But like you said, don't trust those speedo's. The 90's was way underpowered on a good day. The 120 is only going to get mid to high 30's but will tote the load a lot better.