I have a 1996 454 mag in my baja wondering about headers???

butchmotors

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 20 ft baja with a 454 mag.I have thru hull exhaust , I heard the headers are the first thing to upgrade ,,wondering the luck anybodys had with a set of aftermarket ones??

45Auto

Commander
Re: I have a 1996 454 mag in my baja wondering about headers???

If you're very careful NOT to collect any performance data for comparison before and after the headers, it'll always feel faster because of the big bucks you spent on it ......

Bondo

Staff member

it'll always feel faster because of the big bucks you spent on it ......

Ayuh,... For the multipule Thousands of Bucks, I'd want Real improvements myself...

If this is an Efi/ Mpi motor, you're settin' yourself up for Major disappointments...

Fun Times

Staff member

I have a 20 ft baja with a 454 mag.I have thru hull exhaust , I heard the headers are the first thing to upgrade ,,wondering the luck anybodys had with a set of aftermarket ones??
Here's a good brand to consider, They have lots of happy users out there running stock power with good success.;):)

http://www.boatheaders.com/

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Not a absolute here but there is very little performance gain to be had from headers below 6000 rpm..Rember its about flow velocity and scavening

thesledhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think the only advantage is weight savings if your motor is stock. I have EMI Thunder headers on my boat that the previous owner installed but I would have never wasted the 4 grand he paid to save a little weight. But if you plan on some motor mods it may be worth looking into.

IMAG0196.jpg

GLENN M

Petty Officer 1st Class

with just a header change,cruising speed and max rpm will remain the same.so speed will not change just how fast you get there,if you could measure differance,it would be in tenths of a second.companys are able to sell all kinds of stuff just because some people have to much money,

QC

Supreme Mariner

Data please ^^^^^^

45Auto

Commander

Actual dyno tests of a 425HP, 496HO with stock manifolds, then $3,000 headers on a 2006 Nordic Heat.

There was about a 2 MPH difference, but even that was probably due to more favorable water conditions on the second day with the aftermarket exhaust. Dyno tests showed about a 20 HP increase. I would expect there would be even less difference on a stock 454. How much is being "cool" with headers worth to you?

Stock:

We made 5 different runs, with 2 different drivers. The slowest speed was 62.6, fastest 63.5. Average RPM was 4920 on the smartcraft digital tach. Let me interject at this point the Heat really does not like glass smooth water. I?ve personally driven this boat a couple of MPH faster in more chop. Nevertheless, those were the conditions presented to us, now we have our baseline.

Dana:

I could not find a glassy smooth stretch of water like we had the first day. With the added chop the boat aired out better. Again we made numerous passes, same lake, same GPS, same driver. Our slowest speed was 64.6 and fastest was 65.5. RPM increased by 80.

http://www.fullthrottlemarine.com/496 Mag Dyno Article.htm

QC

Supreme Mariner

A couple of observations. Interesting that the "stock" 496 was 38 hp light at the prop (387 vs. 425). I would sure love to see more of this type of independent data. The most impressive thing about "Bob" is he notes inconcistencies with test conditions . . .

thesledhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actual dyno tests of a 425HP, 496HO with stock manifolds, then $3,000 headers on a 2006 Nordic Heat.

There was about a 2 MPH difference, but even that was probably due to more favorable water conditions on the second day with the aftermarket exhaust. Dyno tests showed about a 20 HP increase. I would expect there would be even less difference on a stock 454. How much is being "cool" with headers worth to you?

Stock:

Dana:

http://www.fullthrottlemarine.com/496 Mag Dyno Article.htm

let me get this straight.......... your sayin my boat looks cooler and goes 2 mph faster than these other clowns :D and it only cost 3 grand?????????????? thats what daddys talkin bout right there :cool:

45Auto

Commander

let me get this straight.......... your sayin my boat looks cooler and goes 2 mph faster than these other clowns and it only cost 3 grand?????????????? thats what daddys talkin bout right there

It only looks cooler if you have the engine cover open and someone who gives a rat's azz is close enough to see inside, and the only reason it was 2 MPH faster was because they had better water conditions with the headers ....... what do you expect for a measly $3,000?? ;)

Bob Lloyd seems to be a "no BS" type. I believe he owns Full Throttle Marine in Texas, he's a regular poster on the CrownieHQ forums.