I have 5 wires left over out of 12 where do they go???

Sandra

Cadet
Engine:
Mariner 115
Serial Number 0G226705
HP 115
Year 1995
Model Type ELPTO TR

Boat:
Starcraft
Fishmaster 190
Serial Number STRA46CTE494
Year 1994 on title, but Fishmaster 190 I beleive was 1995

Instrument Panel on he consol has the following:
VOLTS
MPH
RPM
FUEL

Switch Panel on console has the following:
COURT LTS
LIVEWELL
BILGE
ACC1
ACC2

The wiring harness in the engine has 8 wires then while still in the engine compartment connects to another harness with 12 wires, this is the harness that is coming out of the side of the engine cover.

My brother left about four feet of this 12 wire harness then cut the rest of the harness out to replace gauges, ignition swith, control arm and what ever and that's what I was left with when he gave the boat to us last week. He did have the gauges, ignition switch and control arm set in place and there is a fuse box on the side wall under the console. He sold the fish finder, GPS, and radio.

My husband, through trial and error, has all but the following 5 colored wires hooked up, they are as follows:

Purple

Brown

Brown w/White Stripe

Brown w/ Blue Stripe

Black

Can anyone help me with what these might go to? I'm a dumb as a cat turd when it comes to stuff like this.

The wires he has hooked up to something are as follows:

Black w/Yellow Stipe
Gray
Yellow w/Black Stripe
Yellow w/Red Stripe
Red
Green w/White Stipe
Blue w/White Stipe

Thank you,

Sandra

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: I have 5 wires left over out of 12 where do they go???

this should help you out

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/wireColorCode.html#Merc

the color codes on the boat should be the same as listed on this site also......... unless someone has replaced some of the wires with odd colors, but from the factory they are generally wired the same.

if you have wires that change colors a few times (ive seen some have 4 splices within as many feet :eek:) if you still have probs post back and i will see if i can find all the rest of the wire diagrams i used to have saved....... but this site usually nails it down pretty good

Sandra

Cadet

Thank you for the chart, but I still have a few questions if you don't mind trying to answer them.

I don't under stand what this is or means:
Brown Reference Electrode MerCathode System

Brown/Blue Stipe could this be the same as Tan/Blue?

Green/White could this be the same as Lt. Green/White?

Blue/White could this be the same as Lt. Blue/White?

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

are these wires all coming from the eng?

Sandra

Cadet

When I take the engine cover off I see 8 wires coming off of the engine that go into what I'm assuming is a pin connector that is connected to another wiring harness. This is the harness with the 12 wires in it and this harness comes out of the engine's cover and is supposed to run towards the front of the boat for the gauges etc.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

yeah i remember the first time i tried to rewire one. i had the same prob as you.... couldnt understand there where more coming out than goin in. i figured it would be just as easy to just split the wire closer to its destination instead of the confusing plugs, but when you consider how many different boats it will/can be mounted on you can see the need for the extra wiring.

yes i would say green and lt.green would be the same assuming there arent multiple possibilities for the same description.

the colors arent as important as size and condition when rewiring...... after you know what the functions are.

i used the same color wires on one of my boats ---- red and black......... i had a bunch of both and was low on funds so i just labled them on both ends. labels and documentation are the most important part of rewiring, especially when you change the original colors. use ink on the paper and markers on the wires or use strips of duct tape with codes labeled in marker or ink... i even laminated my paper so i could keep it longer.