I hate it when that happens...

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
A friend of mine dropped off a 1988 Johnson 90hp for me to do a tuneup on while he's redoing the interior of his Sylvan. Motor hadn't been run in awhile (8-10 years) so I started with a waterpump kit. Not problem, right? I get it all together, and there on the bench, behind the coffee can that had all the bolts in it, was that short inner exhaust piece that goes between the lower unit and the exhaust housing. Dang. Pulled the unit back off and put the exhaust piece back in...
- Scott

Laddies

Banned
Re: I hate it when that happens...

Scott, you need to stick with the black ones and Yamato's, I should to as I've done the same thing just not use to the rudes. Bob

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

The only guy I know of that can look on the wall of his garage and see an exploded diagram with real parts (not just drawings) of any outboard that has ever been made and he makes a simple mistake like that!:eek:

Shesh Chinewalker, your shaking my faith in humanity!:D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i'll do the rudes if you will do my '66 merc 50. still reading the manual.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Laddies,
I wish all motors were built like Yamatos. Pull the string and go. Simplicity to the extreme. No bells. No whistles. Just pure horsepower transferred to water...
- Scott

CATransplant

Admiral

A friend of mine dropped off a 1988 Johnson 90hp for me to do a tuneup on while he's redoing the interior of his Sylvan. Motor hadn't been run in awhile (8-10 years) so I started with a waterpump kit. Not problem, right? I get it all together, and there on the bench, behind the coffee can that had all the bolts in it, was that short inner exhaust piece that goes between the lower unit and the exhaust housing. Dang. Pulled the unit back off and put the exhaust piece back in...
- Scott

Oopsie! Unbillable time, too. It happens.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Last year I did the waterpump on my 85. LITERALLY as I was tightening the last bolt on the lower unit I realized I forgot to put the key in the impeller. DULP!!!!

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Laddies,
I wish all motors were built like Yamatos. Pull the string and go. Simplicity to the extreme. No bells. No whistles. Just pure horsepower transferred to water...
- Scott

Yeah man!! Couple pix..friend of a friend that does work on my Merc..runs 67mph
S5301360.jpg

S5301368.jpg

Laddies

Banned

Scott, while talking Yamatos this would be a great year to load up and come the the Top of Michigan Marthon is the 50th year. It won't get any better than that. I'm sure Craig and some of the other guys from out east are coming. Bob

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Scott, while talking Yamatos this would be a great year to load up and come the the Top of Michigan Marthon is the 50th year. It won't get any better than that. I'm sure Craig and some of the other guys from out east are coming. Bob

Bob, kinda good timing here..lull in the NHRA Drags.
Watched the first Vid ya sent on that Marathon last night. Onto the second now, finish it tonight. One more to go, them they are off to my old school Merc wrench..(Mark 58 on a Mighty Mite years ago..still crazy at 59..knows his "stuff")
Just to cool...when "crazy"....was legal! AND TOO MUCH FUN!!!.Robby

Laddies

Banned

Come on Scott, this has got to light the fire a little. Bob

C-23-2.jpg

C-85-1.jpg

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Bob, halfway through the second tape. When they started running Johnsons. Although good runners, nothing like the Yamato's (and Mercs) that you could HEAR, before even coming around the corner!!!