I Hate Chiggers

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander
Ok I went camping this last weekend and I have some how attracted every flippin chigger in the Campground. I have been bitin by so many other bugs and have had poison ivy and oak many many times as well and nothing has even come close to this itch. Worse than that my poor 7yr old son has them too, and they are in about the worse possable place. :eek: How do we stop this freakin unbelievable itch. :confused:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: I Hate Chiggers

After returning from a chigger-infested area, launder the field clothes in soapy, hot water (125°F.) for about half an hour. Infested clothes should not be worn again until they are properly laundered and/or exposed to hot sunshine. Unlaundered clothes or those laundered in cool water will contain the biting chiggers to again reinfest your skin. As soon as possible, take a good hot bath or shower and soap repeatedly. The chiggers may be dislodged, but you will still have the stylostomes, causing the severe itch. Scratching deep to remove stylostomes can cause secondary infections. For temporary relief of itching, apply ointments of benzocaine, hydrocortisone, calamine lotion, New Skin, After Bite, or others recommended by your pharmacist or medical doctor. Some use Vaseline, cold cream, baby oil, or fingernail polish. (The sooner the treatment, the better the results.)<br />_____________________________________________________________<br /><br />Regular mosquitoes repellents will repel chiggers. All brands are equally effective. Applying these products to exposed skin and around the edge of openings in your clothes, such as cuffs, waistbands, shirt fronts and boot tops, will force chiggers to cross the treated line get inside your clothes.<br /><br />Unfortunately these repellents are only potent for two to three hours and must be reapplied frequently.<br /><br />By far, the most effective and time proven repellent for chiggers is sulphur. Chiggers hate sulphur and definitely avoid it. Powdered sulphur, called sublimed sulphur or flowers of sulfur, is available through most pharmacies. Dust the powdered sulphur around the opening of your pants, socks and boots. If you plan to venture into a heavily infested area, powdered sulphur can be rubbed over the skin on your legs, arms and waist. Some people rub on a mixture of half talcum powder and half sulphur.<br /><br />But a word of warning: sulphur has a strong odor. The combination of sulfur and sweat will make you unpleasant company for anyone who has not had the same treatment. Sulphur is also irritating to the skin of some people. If you have not used sulphur before, try it on a small area of your skin first.<br />_______________________________________________________________<br /><br /><br />What can you do to alleviate suffering if these precautions fail? Lotions will relive the itching somewhat, but no substance is completely effective. The only ultimate cure is time, since there is nothing you can do to dislodge the chigger's feeding tube, the true cause of your itch. You must simply wait until your body breaks down and absorbs the foreign object.<br /><br />In the meantime, local anesthetics such as benzocaine, camphor-phenol and ammonium hydroxide may provide you with several hours of comfort at a stretch. Over-the-counter creams can also help. In rare cases, some people are allergic to chigger bites and require prescription medications from their doctor.<br /><br />The most popular home remedy for which there is little justification is to dab nail polish on the welt. This cannot "smother" the chigger because it has not burrowed into your skin, and it was probably scratched off long ago. The only benefit to applying a thick coat of nail polish is that it helps to remind you not to scratch the bite.<br /><br />Chronic scratching will only cause the stylostome to further irritate. Scratching deep enough to remove the stylostome will probably cause a secondary infection that is worse than the original chigger bite. If you do scratch, disinfect the chigger bite with topical antiseptics.<br /><br />Fortunately, in North America the only real danger from chigger bites is secondary infections that develop after scratching with dirty fingernails. Our chiggers do not carry Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, tularemia or any other disease. Some veterans may recall this is not the case in Asia and the Pacific, where chiggers can transmit disease called scrub typhus. Luckily, Missourians have nothing to fear from chiggers except that terrible itch.<br />________________________________________________________________<br />Reducing the Itching<br /><br /> Immediately after exposure to chigger-infested areas, take a hot bath to kill and remove chigger larvae. Then apply an antiseptic solution to any welts that have appeared to kill trapped chiggers and to prevent infection. Destroying the chigger usually does not stop the itching completely because the itching is caused by tissue reaction to the fluid injected by the chigger. Normally, two to three days pass before the itching stops. Temporary relief can be obtained by applying a commercial product that contains a mild, local anesthetic. Your pharmacist can suggest an appropriate product for your needs. <br />_____________________________________________________________<br /><br /><br />Makes you miss the north woods doesn't it?

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

We've got a few chiggers in the field on the side of our house. I picked up 4 or 5 on each ankle (under where my ankle socks were) when I was weed eating the area. I bought a medicine cream called "Chigarid". It seems to do the trick. My kids are always wandering in the woods and picking up bites from them. We keep a bottle of the stuff in each bathroom for that very reason.<br /><br />Reapply the medicine often and for 2 or 3 days until the itching subsides.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Thanx for the info guys.......Roscoe, I miss the northwoods for alot more reasons then this. It is very pretty here but I tell you what, Wisconsin is hands down one of the coolest places I lived, fished, and went camping. Jamescoste thanx for thw tip...im gonna go out a find some of that for sure.

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Mike and Ronda<br /><br />Forgive my ignorance but what is a chigger?<br /><br />A sand Flea?<br /><br />Help, I need to understand your pain :confused: !!!!<br /><br />Cheers<br />Andrew

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

A Chigger is a almost too small to see arachnid.....like a little tiny tick that bites you and causes a allergic reaction that itches unbearably. Like I said before I have had many bites to poison ivy and oak and they all pale in comparison.......Im not sure if a sand flea is the same thing. I do beleive that God created all things, but Im pretty sure the devil had his hand on these little buggers. :)