I got my land

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Today KB and wife sign final papers on 36 acres. Signed them last Friday but owner wasn't there so I have to sign the copy he had also. Don't know if its good news or bad. It really hasn't set in yet that its MINE. I've had the week off for vacation and have spent way too much time with chainsaws,axes,hatchet,machete,clippers, old Ford tractor, and a Murray lawnmower.<br />Last sat we ran two BIG does out of a clearing with the tractor. They just stand there and watch us. Tuesday the wife helps me clean a fence row and two bucks in velvet come out to greet us. They follow us around keeping about 20 yards between us and them. I have always wanted an easy kill but these will not be hunted. I figure on putting out feeders in the winter to help them out and just enjoying them. Almost a shame.

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: I got my land

Congrats Kenneth!
22.gif
<br /><br />Is the land for a hunting lease or do you plan to build?

Kenneth Brown

Captain

No deer hunting. I will probably do a little rabbit and squirrel hunting but not much. Right now, or I guess whenever I get the fences in a little better shape, it will be for livestock. I only have 2 horses currently but will add a cow or two. I figure that there will be goats,chickens, the whole nine yards before long, a real zoo if you will. Within the next 5 years we plan to build a house/buy a modular for a homesite. The biggest obstacle is access. Right now I only have access to the front 5 acres or so unless I walk it out. I have a BIG creek that I have to build a bridge over. Looking at a "retired" bridge from the county to go in there.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sounds good, KB.<br /><br />For long term capital gains, nothing beats land. :) <br /><br />We paid $600/acre for The Hideout 15 years ago. The last offer I had was for $3500/acre.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

congrats Ken,<br />now get the dozer and dig a nice 2-3 acre pond<br />fed from the creek and stock it with some Bass ;)

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Thanks gang. I paid 39000 for 35.75 acres, not too bad. With just a few improvements I could get around 1700 an acre for it.<br /><br />MY- Thats in the works too. I have a freind that runs a dozer part time. Hes gonna park it at my place and work on it while he can. I won't be that big but will definetly be stocked with hybrid bluegill. I love to catch em and it will give the kids, and the grandkids in 20 years a nice place to sit on the bank.

gaugeguy

Captain

Congrats KB. It'll sink in that it is yours when you start busting your back working on it, you're gonna love it :cool:

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Old flatbed trailers work pretty good for bridges also KB.<br />That is, if the creek is less than 50' or so.<br />Sounds nice. I hope to invest in some land myself here soon.<br /><br />Dave

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Congrats KB, sounds like a good deal :) <br />Are you close to any lakes?

Kenneth Brown

Captain

My family has a private lake, its 56 acres and sits on a 303 acre piece of property. Old land thats been in the family 5 generations, great granfather won about 20000 acres gambling and this is all that is left. That land is about 9 miles from me. Limestone, a elec gen. lake, is about 15 minutes from me. Richland Chambers is about 45 minutes.<br /><br />GG- Already about dead from the place. Its just me and me father on the families land that maintain it so I know all about work already. I ilke the thought of this place being mine. I can make any improvement I want and I will see the reward forever.

LubeDude

Admiral

Im real happy for ya.<br /><br />Here in Oregon, many people have done what you have, figuring to do as you are, only a few years down the road the city, State, County governments have told them they cant build due to new regulations. Grandfather clauses dont work. Many have lost millions. D*mb the Government.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Rwise- Sure, lets party. I'll suplly the beer and soft drinks along with a bbq brisket and chicken. You make sure and bring anybody that wants to come, just make sure you have some type of tool in your hand. It doens't matter if its fencing pliers,a shovel, chainsaw, whatever, just bring tools.

11 footer

Lieutenant

Thats great, property is the best investment you can make in the long run, it will almost always go up in value.<br /><br />I can't bleave you can get 35.75 acres for only 39k!! I don't know what's wrong with people in MA, you can't get a tiny house lot around here for that......I gotta get down to Texas;)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Kenneth Brown:<br /> Rwise- Sure, lets party. I'll suplly the beer and soft drinks along with a bbq brisket and chicken. You make sure and bring anybody that wants to come, just make sure you have some type of tool in your hand. It doens't matter if its fencing pliers,a shovel, chainsaw, whatever, just bring tools.
Count me in, KB!<br /><br />Sounds like you are one step closer to living a dream - congratulations.<br /><br /> :D

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A good feeling isn't it? Congratulations and good luck to you and your wife.<br /><br />Jinx

bubbakat

Captain

Kenneth this is what you need. It can drive a post up to an 8 inch dia. every how tall you want it and no tamping. One man operation and I can drive 20 post an hour by my self with it.<br /><br /><br />
8fb509df.jpg

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Yep, MINE has a nice ring to it, don't it? Congratulations, KB.<br /> We added 2 1/2 acres to our little piece of paradise lately and it sure feels good to expand a bit. More trees and water. Love that! Hey, did you know we have Black walnut trees out here? Yum! We have dozens on this new piece. I thought they were midwest trees.<br />Bassy

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Wow Bubbakat, that thing would be killer. My last fence I rented a two man hand held unit. It was a lot better than "chunk and lift" but still way too much work. We are gonna swap a truck and some money this weekend for a small tractor this weekend, although I am sure it wouldn't handle that rig. Its a 1310 Ford 4wd deisel with all of the acc. except for a front end loader, Visa will be buying one of those very soon.<br /><br />Bassy- Thats cool about the trees. Just a little to the east of me is lots of logging operations. They pay PREMIUM for black walnaut. Oh ya, congrats on your land also.