I got a new car

ae708

Chief Petty Officer
Actually a "new to me" car. My 17 y/o daughter has been bugging me for a car so I decided to give her my '94 Toyota Celica and get a newer one for my wife to drive ( I mostly drive my pickup). Monday I bought a really nice 2002 VW Passat. It seems to be well made, comfortable, and has a 4 cylinder engine but with turbo. Once you get past the turbo lag the thing really goes... for a 4 banger. Does anyone have any experience with the Passat? The wife loves it so far. The dealership(who has always serviced it) uses Shell oil, I've always used Castrol.... wonder if I should change?OH.. it has 75,000 miles on it but looks and runs like new.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer
Re: I got a new car

I've rented the Passat a couple of times on trips, and they are one of my favorites. They have a lot of pep and a very solid feel for a smaller car. That's all I know about them, other than that they are pretty good looking.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Passat is one of the most reliable cars made. Passats can be bought with the turbo4, V6, or W8 engine and all wheel drive if you like. Take care of it and you'll get over 200k out of it easy. Let it idle for a minute before turning it off and the turbo will last longer. Your new car's twin sis' is the Audi A4. Good luck keepin' it under 80 on the freeway man. VWs are screamers.

dolluper

Captain

Only thing I can tell you is take care of the Turbo DON"T shut the car down right away after coming off the highway let it slowly come back to idle for awhile then shut it down Fast shutdown cooks the bearings in the Turbo only problem otherwise very good reliable If you change oil make sure it is compatable for Turbo's

dolluper

Captain

Great minds think alike you beat me CalicoKid must be a faster typer or speller

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

These guys are correct, let it idle before cutting it off.<br /><br />In fact I think they make kits that do this automatically for you. Here is one http://hksusa.com/products/?id=843 <br /><br />Also, I suggest a synthetic oil for the turbo. Read the most recent synthetic oil post in the "non-boating tech topics".<br /><br />Ken

NYMINUTE

Captain

How disappointing for the Arabs, as you will save $$ on fuel. Way to go.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

I won't save money on fuel compared to my Celica. That thing is a miser on gas.... 34 to 38 on the highway. Thanks for the heads up on idling before shutting off. This is the first turbo we've had so I'll make sure to do that.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I used to have a VW Golf - that was a great little car - and would whip around tight turns very nice!<br /><br />The only downside I found was that parts were very expensive..

LubeDude

Admiral

Here is a link as to wear with Amsoil and Mobil 1, Independend UOA. 5W-40. Not from an Amsoil site.<br /><br /> Oil test.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

One of my cars is a VW Jetta TDI (Turbo Diesel) and I love it. Fun to drive and great on fuel about 45-55 mpg depending on how I am driving. I use only synthetic oil. The VW's are a bit maintenance hungry but they tend to last.<br />Check out the forums http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeromain?id=1 and after you weed through the kid stuff there is a great deal of useful information.<br /><br />Bob

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Get a "engine shut off timer" for the engine and you won't have to worry about the sitting in it for it to cool off.<br /><br />You can set it at however many minutes you want and turn the key off, get out, lock the doors and go inside and it will shut the engine off when it's cooled down to your settings.<br /><br />Have them on my diesels and they work great.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Synthetic, synthetic, synthetic. Did I say Synthetic oil? One of the many positive attributes of pure synthetic oil is it's high oxidation temperature. That is the temperature that it begins to cook. (burn) It is considerably higher than any dino oil. Cooked oil turns into coke and coke does not lubricate. <br /><br />Turbo shafts run extremely hot and will benefit mightily from this property. Also be sure to follow the above advice re cooldown, or post shutdown turbo oil circulation.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Kuya Mike... my wife is an exiled Aussie also. She was born in Sydney.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

It sounds like everyone here is on the synthetic oil bandwagon... expensive stuff.

dolluper

Captain

The reason for not shutting down fast is the Turbo is still spinning fast and you have no oil of any kind pumping so by by bearings they go first I have replaced many for this reason so save the turbo and you don't have to sell the kids to replace it But maybe Hummm :D :D