I feel required to reserve a spot here.

lonesouth

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After reading a bunch of threads about plugs, blowers, and bow straps/chains, I feel required to reserve my own spot here for future incidents. I am by no means new to boating. We have had a Whaler 13 Sport for 30 years and I've been taking it out every summer for the last 14, since I was 16.

The problem is, this boat is somewhat idiot proof. It will float in about 4" of water, and forgetting the plug just means you plane around for 5 minutes while the water drains. It is an OB, so blowers were never even mentioned. The hull stick to the bunks like glue, even though it also sits on rollers in the middle, so the bow strap was always removed prior to launch; there isn't even a safety chain to backup the winch. Lastly, the lake I have always gone to is a beach launch and you can end up at least 10' into the water to launch, that is the front bumper of the truck is 10' from shore. It is on a magic tilt trailer, but I never bothered to tilt to launch, always floated because it was easier. Never got stuck, even with 2wd and open diff.

Now that I am looking to get an 18'-21' I/O I am certain to forget the drain plug, the bow chain, the blower among the multitude of SHT to be performed with a less idiot proof boat. Not to mention that now the boat and the tow vehicle are substantially more expensive.

So, this is my space for pictures of sunken boats, boats left on the launch ramp, stuck tow vehicles, and all of you getting mad at me for poor ramp ettiquete.

Cheers!

D

DJ

Re: I feel required to reserve a spot here.

Don't sweat it. A laminated checklist works wonders. One for the boat and one for the tow vehicle.

I've launched thousands of times. All types of boats. I still use one and catch myself from time to time.

lmao...yeah I think I'll have to reserve my spot too. I think we all go through the dumbsht stage in boat ownership. Even though it's not MY boat, I will have use of it. :rolleyes:

lonesouth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got my first one this weekend. We went out scalloping in the St. Marks area. Motored into the flotilla and tossed out the anchor. Hopped in the water and started grabbing the scallops. All the while I noticed that we weren't drifting very far from the boat. I told myself that the current must not be as strong as I thought. Head down, and snorkeling around for a bit, my buddy taps me and points to the boat. The wind had picked up and the bimini acted like a sail. My best guess is that the boat had drifter ~1/2 mile from our current position. The anchor had not set, and was just dragging upside down. It took about 15 minutes of constant swimming to catch up. Luckily we didn't drift into anyone or anything. Lesson learned, set the anchor before turning you attention to the fun.

j_martin

Admiral

Got my first one this weekend. We went out scalloping in the St. Marks area. Motored into the flotilla and tossed out the anchor. Hopped in the water and started grabbing the scallops. All the while I noticed that we weren't drifting very far from the boat. I told myself that the current must not be as strong as I thought. Head down, and snorkeling around for a bit, my buddy taps me and points to the boat. The wind had picked up and the bimini acted like a sail. My best guess is that the boat had drifter ~1/2 mile from our current position. The anchor had not set, and was just dragging upside down. It took about 15 minutes of constant swimming to catch up. Luckily we didn't drift into anyone or anything. Lesson learned, set the anchor before turning you attention to the fun.

And you didn't notice the laughter from the rest of the flotilla?

lonesouth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm hoping they figured we were drift fishing...