I feel like an idiot...I don't know if my evinrude is a 2 stroke or 4...

everhart57

Cadet
I feel really dumb, particularly since this isn't my first outboard, or dirtbike or four wheeler... but I still have never heard a real answer to this question that works for me.

The model is 115799s it's evinrude and from what I have found the year is 1977... I tore the floor out of the boat, replaced carpet and upholstry (however that's spelled), replaced the steering cable, sanded and refinished all the wood, and replaced the wiring on an old crestliner that I got for free... I know it has a GAS tank, but I also know this isn't the original motor for the boat...

I don't see anything talking about gas oil ratios ... but a lof of the stickers are peeling or have peeled off at this point...

I only have about 200 in the project so far... but the motor won't start.

It just turns over and over and won't fire...

I would like to know if I need to mix the gas... think that might help as it seems to want to kick over...

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: I feel like an idiot...I don't know if my evinrude is a 2 stroke or 4...

You have a 1977 115hp Evinrude, a 2 stroke engine.

Yes, you need to mix oil with the gas. Use a 50/1 mixture which is 1 pint of a good quality 50/1 oil to 6 gallons of gasoline. A octane rating of 87 will be fine.

The ignition is self contained, meaning that the stator under the flywheel supplies power to the powerpack in order to generate ignition/spark. However of course, the battery is needed to have the electric starter crank the engine.

Step one.... remove the spark plugs, crank the engine over to test the spark which should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP!

You can use a medium size philips screwdriver inserted into the spark plug boot spring connector, then hold the screwdriver shank approximately 7/16" away from the block to check the spark.

Starting procedure.... Proper mixture in tank. Pump the fuel primer bulb up until it is hard (fills carburetors etc). Advance the throttle slightly to just a slightly fast idle. Turn key to the START postition and hold key in at the same time to engage the choke. When engine fires and starts, let key spring back to the RUN position. You may need to push the key in a few times when the engine is cold to momentarily engage the choke if the engine atempts to stall out.

Let us know what you find.

stevenmurray1987

Seaman Apprentice

it's from 1977

you have a two stroke.

if it has an oil resivoir beside the gas tank then it's oil injected. If there is no oil tank then you need to mix it

mark1961

Ensign

It definitely wont be oil injected (vro).....it will need to run premix at 50:1.

ADK_Boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

There really weren't 4 stroke outboards in that era...thats why they smell so good when you start them...if you can start them.
Good Luck!

everhart57

Cadet

thanks a lot... I'll deffinetly let you know what I get... should I dissassemble the carbs to remove any plain gas that might be remaining?

everhart57

Cadet

ok... cranking on it has produced some smoke and a dead battery lol... so... I'm wodering precisely how to set the throttle... I know with my 75 hp crysler that was always an issue for quick starting vs... miserable day at the dock....

and it seems to be pouring gas out of the back of the carbs... flooding?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Did you check the spark as I suggested?

Gas pouring out the "back" of the carburetors?

Cranking the engine via the electric starter for more than 20 seconds is chancing having the solder melted from the commentator portion of the electric starter's armature. It gets quite hot!

everhart57

Cadet

ok... well back of carbs I mean the end you can see... I don't know how else to refer to this phenomenon.... I guess it's just pouring out of the only side open to view.... and I have checked the spark... which lends itself to another question... the ends (refering to the side that enters the boots... sorry, I'm not up with what things are called... just have had a lot of luck with small engines...) were loose... how and why would this occur?...and are they supposed to be this way? I can't imagine they are which is why I hand tightened them.... but I don't know.

update.... well maybe I shouldn't have tightened them.... I now have no spark anywhere.... all four cylinders....

one more question.... I read somewhere that the plugs for this should be gapped at .030 and my current plugs are autolite 4092 but I read in another part of the forum that the correct plug for this engine is champion l77jc4 and that they should be gapped at .040.... which is correct? I believe the plugs are hopelessly fouled and would like to replace them tomorrow... but I need to know if the ones I have are ok because they have them at the local napa if so.... thanks for all your help!!!!!

mark1961

Ensign

L77JC4 gapped at .030"......the Autolites crossover as well.....if i had to choose it would be the Champions.

everhart57

Cadet

IMG_20120520_235944.jpgIMG_20120521_000001.jpgIMG_20120521_000047.jpgIMG_20120521_000020.jpgIMG_20120521_000025.jpg

ok... so I will get those tomorrow as it looks like they have them at the local kragen....but in the meantime, I decide to clean the carbs to the best of my ability since I don't have any carb cleaner... I used gas, a toothbrush, some hot water and an air compressor.... I am going to post some pics if someone can give an opinion as to what their condition looks likeI am wondering too... both times that I have taken the carbs apart there was gunk in the lower bowl but the upper... I checked the filter and it's intact.... ?

oh yeah... I'm going to get the champions... after reading some other posts... I'll let you know how tomorrow goes... I'm going to replace all fuel lines as I can afford that....

haha.... should have said broke law student trying to have some summer fun to begin...

JARED T

Seaman

the easy way is to look and see if it has a dipstick or oil filler cap 2 strokes dont

everhart57

Cadet

so I have been told... but I have also heard that this can be unreliabe as there are engines which inject the oil for mixture.... and I beleive I have also been told that this is reliant on how the engine is cooled.... had a four wheeler that was oil and air cooled...

69PYCuddy

Cadet

Okay I feel even stupider if that's a word. I just purchased a 85 Baja 170SS for the summer with a 84 115 Evenrude (according to the numbers on the motor) and I have never had an outboard before and none with OMC and I don't know how to start it can anyone help please?