I feel a bit stupid.... (as usual)

wilgil

Cadet
Could someone please confirm to me which way the thermostat goes in my '76 105? I know this should be a no brainer, but my fantastic Clymer manual doesn't have those details. I THINK it goes spring down (ie into the housing), but I'd like to make sure. I did a search for this, but even then it wasn't completely clear to me. Thanks in advance. Will

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: I feel a bit stupid.... (as usual)

WIL: It can only fit in spring up. (out of the head and into the cover.)

Actually, this is contrary to what you would think because it puts the expanding pellet in the cold area of the head and relies upon the weep hole in the thermostat to deliver hot water to the pellet.

BUT: when you try to insert it the "correct" way with the pellet inside the head, you will quickly discover that the hole on the head is too small to fit the spring end.

Oh, and by the way: Not only do you feel stupid, you look stupid too! LOL Gotta kick them while they are down--it's easier.

You made me curious so I took a couple of minutes to look it up--My older Clymer, powerhead chapter, page 302, figure 80, shows the correct placement of the thermostat.

I am reasonably certain that on the newer Force engines with the finned heads, the thermostat can fit in the head with the pellet in the hot water side. The hole is larger.

wilgil

Cadet
Re: I feel a bit stupid.... (as usual)

Hmmm...thanks for the kick.....(lucky you are on the other side of the world). My t.stat seems to fit BOTH ways - but I'm glad I now know. Pointy side DOWN - Springy bit UP.

By the way - my Clymer (pub. 1975) only goes up to page 188!