I don't understand: Why did Blanco say no?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
I haven't yet grasped the all the intricacies of this transaction yet.<br /><br />Let's don't say "Cause shes democrat & they're stupid." or any such thing as that, ok? It might be academic at this point, but I'm seriously curious about this.<br /><br />1. Was Bush's offer of National Guard troops conditional on Blanco giving up control? (federal troops are a separate question)<br /><br />*Can he really place that condition on another state's National Guard?<br /><br />*Why would he place that condition on another state's National Guard? (Other than "he knew Blanco wasn't fit to command." He's got to have a better reason to withhold aid than his opinion of her abilities.)<br /><br />2. Why would she refuse? I hear that it's because of some arcane state's right BS, but what's the real downside? She does not really believe Bush would try to overthrow the Louisiana government, and it's no use trying to convince me that she does believe that, without direct quotes published in credible sources.<br /><br />thanks,<br /><br /><br />p.s. - just thought of something...being a red-blooded American male, shouldn't George know that "no" means "yes"?

KaGee

Admiral
Re: I don't understand: Why did Blanco say no?

Let's don't say "Cause shes democrat & they're stupid." or any such thing as that, ok?
I'm not going to say that... but... the more that I hear and read and try to evaluate everything... there is without question an element of partisan politics that was played out here. Evidenced by some of the lame "excuses" people are using and the immediate attempt to discredit anything and everything about the Administration. Also evidenced by the Congressional Democratic leadership's refusal to participate in a Congressional investigation of the matter.<br /><br />She played politics at a time she should have showed the leadership she was elected for. <br /><br />Ya know, if you take care of business, then the bottom line will take care of itself. She was so concerned about manipulating the bottom line, she didn't take care of business.<br /><br />It will all come out in the wash... provided it's not a white wash!

KaGee

Admiral

Just heard an audio clip from Blanco... she now lements the fact that she didn't call out the guard sooner, but said she was afraid of what it "might do to the innocent people".<br /><br />Now what kind of thinking is that? :confused:

oddjob

Commander

Good question JTex.<br /><br />aside from what Kagee said. <br /><br />After all the mouthing slurs of the uncaring inadequate Bush and Fed gov. to hurry and get his Arse down there. He came down and treated those two as if they had done nothing wrong. He didnt point fingers and play the politics they had already started. It threw them/ her. They expected a power struggle and figured since the media was already in their favor she had a trump card to deal Bush. She was expecting a fight with Bush and the Feds and he put it matter of fact. If she went along with Bush immediately She would have went against the taunting left and supporting Media. She was stuck because she obviously doesnt know how the feds and gov. work. <br /><br />BTW..She didnt say no....she said she needed 24 hours to think about it..:?!!.....Me thinks She needed to consult with her backers and political armchair quarterbacks.....Perhaps the Clintons, Kerry, or whoever. Thats my opinion.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by oddjob:<br /> <br />BTW..She didnt say no....she said she needed 24 hours to think about it..:?!!.....
As I understand it, after thinking about it she still said "no" to federalizing the National Guard troops. I'm not sure how it all works.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

1) I didn't think it was Bush's to offer the National Guard. I thought the guard was under control of the governor and could be utilized at her will.<br /><br />There was the issue of placing the guard under the fed govt. That is what the governor wanted a day to think about. I don't understand all the nuances of what all went on, but I understand whatever went wrong, it was the fault of the media.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

All I can say is wouldnt it be a much better world if our polititions did what was best for the people of our country instead of what was best for their political parties on both sides of the spectrum.

aspeck

Staff member

m&r, AMEN TO THAT!

D

DJ

All I can say is wouldnt it be a much better world if our polititions did what was best for the people of our country instead of what was best for their political parties on both sides of the spectrum.<br />
Amen.<br /><br />The "sleeping" American public has allowed it to happen, to themselves.<br /><br />Damned brazen on the Dem's part though.

crab bait

Captain

whoever.. whatever.. it'll NEVER happen again..<br /><br />bet your bass that north dakota will a have a functioning hurrican plan..

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by crab bait:<br /> bet your bass that north dakota will a have a functioning hurrican plan..
They won't know if it's functioning until the Big One hits. They also should develop an earthquake plan, tsunami plan, and volcanic eruption plan.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

hold on a minute...ND...hurricane plan :D <br /><br /><br />The other really big one is the San Andreas fault, think they're ready for it?