I don't understand the Post Office.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
I bring a package to Post Office (the emblems I posted about in the Restoration & Building forum) to send to Arjen in Amsterdam, Netherlands. I get a price of $15 to send it Global Mail and it should be there in 6 to 10 business days. I ask for a cheaper rate, the guy says Air Mail is $7.55 and takes a day or two longer. I go with Air Mail. <br /><br />So I mailed it on Saturday 4/9/05 at 11:00am. I got an email from Arjen in Amsterdam today, 4/12/05 at 1:30 saying he received the package and it is intact w/no damage. <br /><br />So why pay $15.00 for Global Mail and wait 6 to 10 business days when Air Mail is faster for less? I don't get it.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: I don't understand the Post Office.

Mark,<br /><br />
I don't get it.
You're thinking logically, think government.<br /><br />Chris............

ZmOz

Captain

I just looked up a 3oz package I was shipping to canada. Airmail, about a week, was a dollar something. Surface mail, 4-6 weeks, was nearly $3. :rolleyes: <br /><br />On the other hand, I recently sent a 30lb package to Greenland, and surface mail was much cheaper...

NathanY

Commander

Maybe you can put more on an airplane than in a truck? :confused:

ehenry

Commander

I can't figure your guy getting his package in Amsterdam that quick. BARLOW, Yall know BARLOW dont ya? He said he sent me a package from Wisconsin almost two weeks ago and it aint made it yet ! ! ! ! Go figure.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

The Post Office can make ya go postal if ya try too hard to understand their ways :eek:

NYMINUTE

Captain

Your Government is HARD (ly) at work for you.

Rickfifty

Seaman

I believe the Global Mail has extras included in the $15 such as tracking, insurance, and possibly a refund if not delivered on time. Sometimes you don't need those so you were smart to check your options. The Global Mail probably would have made it in the same time though, just cost you more.

Rickfifty

Seaman

I believe the Global Mail has extras included in the $15 such as tracking, insurance, and possibly a refund if not delivered on time. Sometimes you don't need those so you were smart to check your options. The Global Mail probably would have made it in the same time though, just cost you more.

D

DJ

One way is GUARENTEED, the other is-whenever.<br /><br />Granted, the package flies on the same plane-maybe.<br /><br />You get what you pay for. Go the cheap route, the package gets second rate handling. If the plane's not full, they arrive same time.<br /><br />No mystery to me. It's all about whatever the carrier can/has capacity to do.

ndemge

Commander

I'm in St. Louis<br /><br />I can Overnight a package to Chicago: $25<br />I can 3rd Day Express a package to chicago: $15<br />I can Ship GROUND a package for $5 that will get there the next day.<br /><br />If I ship 3rd day, it is GARANTEED 3rd day, It will sit on the dock in chicago for 2 days and deliver on the 3rd. Just the way the system works.

Bondo

Staff member

I've put a letter in My mailbox at the road, with a 1st class stamp on it, <br />addressed to a concern Across Town,+ have it arrive 3 Days Later,.... <br />Post Marked in Syracuse,......80 Miles Away for Here........

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Mark, you sent me a letter last month, got here 2 days after you sent. The one I sent back took almost 2 weeks...go figger...Chief ;)

Twidget

Commander

My mom shipped a package from Tulsa to Ft Worth, ground USPS. It took 2 1/2 weeks. UPS ground or FedEX ground for the same package is next day. :rolleyes:

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

I sent my ex her monthly check via certified mail on March 1. She lives only 50 miles from me. She has yet to receive it. That's correct March 1....like LAST MONTH. <br /><br />This is the 2nd time it's happened. Luckily I have the reciept and the routing slip (I always do return receipt becuase my ex is not the most truthful).<br /><br />They now have a postal invetigator looking for it.<br /><br />So, a package can get to Amsterdam in a couple of days, but 1 little envelope can't make it 50 miles in 40 some odd days! Go figure! :)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Hmmm. Maybe I live in a time warp or somthing.... All the online stores should have their shipping departments here. HA!<br /><br />Maybe because I'm only about 50 miles or so from Newark International Airport that my package to Amsterdam got out so fast. JFK is not too much farther. <br /><br />Regarding the GlobaL Mail, to get insurance & tracking I would have had to spend $26. That was too much. Neither is available on Air Mail.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

We regularly ship things to my wife's family in Thailand. We always use USPS, most of the time use Air Mail. Sometimes it is there in a week, sometimes, three. Totally random.<br /><br />Sometimes on light things, Global Priority is cheaper.<br /><br />Ken

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mark, maybe they plopped it on the plane that wasn't allowed to cross US-airspace because of suspect passengers and that had to return to Amsterdam :D . (oh boy now I dun it, now I'm on the sh*tlist for sure)

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Speaking of insurance, why do we have to buy insurance that they will do their job and actually deliver the package? I asked the postal clerk that very question once, and I thought he was gonna go postal on me? I mean in my profession I can't tell someone, "Your alternator is bad, it's gonna cost you $215.97. If you want a guarantee that I did the job right, that will be and extra $25.00." Just doesn't seem right. But that's the government.