I Can Smell Stuff Again!

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class
Around springtime last year I noticed I had no sense of smell – I couldn’t smell a darned thing. I’d stick my nose in a freshly opened can of coffee – nothing. I’d clean the cat’s litter box – nothing. I’d sniff the simmering pot of spaghetti sauce – nothing. Worse yet, I couldn’t smell electrical, wood, gas or other types of fire. It was really maddening not to mention dangerous. On top of that, my sense of taste was going straight down hill, too. I attributed it to getting older – like pushing 60. My doctor told me to take vitamins and it may improve – it didn’t.<br /><br />I went on like this for more than a year until one day I Googled “loss of the sense of smell” and came up with anosmia which is the medical term for the condition. After wandering around those topics, I discovered what may have been the cause but more importantly, a potential cure.<br /><br />From the Web I learned that some doctors have expressed concern that the intranasal application of Zicam Cold Remedy Nasal Gel, a cold medicine, is associated with a loss of the sense of smell which may in turn affect sense of taste. I had used Zicam in Feb or Mar ’03 for a cold – it seemed to work OK. Until reading this, I had no idea that Zicam could have caused it – and, in all fairness, it may not have been the Zicam.<br /><br />The good news? I looked further and found reference to another product called Sinus Buster that some folks claim cured their anosmia. Sinus Buster is a nasal spray is made from capsaicin, the stuff that makes chili peppers hot. I decided what the heck – for $12 bucks or so I’ll give it a try. <br /><br />IT WORKED! I used Sinus Buster as directed for about two weeks – the first couple of snorts really got my attention – it’s hot stuff but it got much better after a few times. <br /><br />That was about 2 months ago – my sense of smell is literally improving every day. Now I can smell the coffee brewing and am back to dreading the litter box!

ebbtide176

Commander
Re: I Can Smell Stuff Again!

that's awesome news! no one wants to lose any of their senses.... ;)

Triton II

Commander

Once my ex-wife packed up ship I could no longer sense the smell of burnt money. I wonder if this will work for me?

NYMINUTE

Captain

Good news, glad my dogs aren't around after they eat. Smell can then be your enemy. ;)

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

ebb - I lost most of my sense(s) many moons ago :eek: <br /><br />Triton - I don't know - even with anosmia, I could still sense the ex burning $$ ;) <br /><br />NY - Not being able to smell "stuff" did have its good points! :D

Triton II

Commander

LOL... just make sure it's not YOUR $$ she's burning! :D

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

JustMrWill,<br /><br />Actually we're transplants (some even think we are yankees :p ). I grew up (sort of) in Nashville, spent 25 years in the AF, "retired" to MD, got tired of that and moved to Spotsy. <br /><br />Wife is from NC but lived several years and started a family - not with me :D - in F'burg. Her son still lives in Partlow. <br /><br />We needed a place to hang it up and this is where we ended up. Kinda like it. <br /><br />But, don't get me started on Central Park :mad: <br /><br />How'd you end up in MA?

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

tcube- Living in Fredericksburg (actually Spotsylvania) for 10 years of my life cause me to lose my senses too! Did you go to Jayem? Years? I was there for 8th and 9th grade. Damn, brings back memories....it's ashame wht has happened over by the Spotsy mall...use to be a country club..now commercial spralll.....<br /><br />Sorry for the hijack...email me at justmrwill@yahoo.com if you wanna chat.<br /><br />-JustMrWill

JustMrWill

Both my parents were born and raised in MA...ran off to CA to get married and had us...job moved to VA...eventually made way back home to MA by way of AL.<br /><br />Do you boat on Lake Anna?

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

I split my time between Anna and the Rappahannock . Looking forward to shad fishing this spring on the river.

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Tcube... where do you get this stuff? I have never seen or heard of it. I have lost my sense of smell too. Been gone for years. On the odd occasion it returns for a few seconds... the doctors have no clue. I quit asking them long ago.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gil009, <br /><br />Go to Sinus Buster I got the original (OSBA) - $12.50 with shipping. <br /><br />For reference you may want to go to Anosmia Ref <br /><br />Good luck.

JustMrWill

After school catfishing on the Rappahannock. Mom worked in pink house two houses down from train bridge - away from (now dinner ferry landing?) Weekends on (then) undeveloped Lake Anna...mom friends with realitor and let us camp/picnic on some lots. Wow...that was back in the early 1980's.<br /><br />Thanks for bringing me back down memory lane.<br /><br />PS...congratz on your smell :)