I can help one family

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
I bought an old fixer-upper Victorian in a small city in Wisconsin a few years back. I live downstairs with my kids. The upstairs was converted to a 2-bedroom apartment decades ago and is in disrepair. I am slowly rennovating it as time and money allow, but both are in short supply so it still needs a ton of work. Some walls are still covered with leaded paint which is flaking off, so it may not be a good choice for very young kids. The heat, water, and electricity work on a limited but adequate basis. There is a working stove and fridge. I had let my adult daughter live up there between apartments (which was over a year) and now it lies vacant until I fix it up to rent (over the winter lay-off we northern boat mechanics usually have to put up with). It Aint Much! But it's empty and dry. I can let a hurricane-displaced family use it for a few months, rent & utilities free. There are jobs available in the area, the public schools are among the best in the state. Local pantries can help with food. Furniture isn't a big problem. I have some extra and St. Vinnies and Bethesda are nearby with plenty, clothes too. Pets are welcome. So if any of you know of a family with no place to go because of Katrina, I have a place. But just one, and only til the snow flies. They just need to get here.<br /><br />At the top of this page you'll see an icon with a little man standing next to a house (seems kinda appropriate). That will take you to my website. Make sure your pop-up blocker is on (sorry about that, it's one of those free hosting things). My e-mail link is on the bottom left of the webpage. I don't have the internet at home, so please forgive me if I don't get back to you right away. I check my e-mail at work at lunch, and sometimes I go to the library which is where I posted this from. Next time may not be until lunch on tuesday. God Bless the suffering.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander
Re: I can help one family

I too have a rlarge room in my house that I would be glad to let someone use to reside in untill they are able to get back on there feet. Our house is about 3000 sq ft so theres room........I cant stand to see children suffer and we would love to help. Shoot me an email mikeandronda@ juno.com no space between @ and juno.com

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Willy and Mike, I heard on tv that the way to go about this is to contact your state government, the red cross, and FEMA. They are coordinating relocation efforts. Also, churches in Madison and Milwaukee may have a plan in place to transport/shelter people.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

how come it has taken several days for this offer of charity to be offered? would have thought that it would be last Tuesday judging from the Medias expectations!