I came acrost a deal for a Fishfinder and.....

riptide116

Seaman
I found a great deal on a Hummingbird 400TX and I have read the quality of work from manufactur and well..<br />1.I would like to buy somthing that works.<br />2.never owned 1 before,seen one when I was a flunky on boat in alaska for 1 min before getting booted from the bridge.<br />3.dont want to end up with a Lemon fishfinder.<br />4.have read from manufature of what should be in the box when I buy.<br /><br />Allmost boating time,getting things ready before summer is here and i gotta busta my but to get shipshape,looking for a good VHF for local waters (kinda would be nice to call for help or offer help when its needed) <br /><br />(the hole in the boat is for pouring money into)<br /><br />Thanks.<br />Riptide116<br />South Puget Sound

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: I came acrost a deal for a Fishfinder and.....

Moving to Electronics and Trolling Motors.

Jwill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have 400tx that I just bought from Bass Pro Shops for $127.00. I use it for freshwater fishing in water up to 60' deep and it works great.<br />Most guys don't like Humminbird fishfinders.<br />Do a search for "Humminbird" in the electronic category here on i-boats and read up on them. There is alot of info and you can decide if it will be a good fishfinder for your application.<br />The 400tx is being phased out and thats why their so cheap.

riptide116

Seaman

I have read about the grumblings about 'hummingbirds',I do not have a opinion of them ether way.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I have a HB 200DX on my toon that has been no trouble at all for 4 years. Also have an eagle on my runabout for god know how long and again, no problems.<br /><br />BTW- I sometimes run in water over 100' deep at Lake of the Ozarks and have no problem with bottom lock at speed with the Bird...<br /><br />Is this an E-Bay deal??? If so, PASS!

riptide116

Seaman

naw,not e-bay (lol) found in newspaper,heck of a time to find a (hopefully) great deal for a FF,my current project is/was a top for the boat,I just finished mounting a Plexiglass windsheild today !!!<br /><br />interesting delemmia:<br />Find the fish and get wet/sunburned<br />or<br />Stay Dry/avoid sunstroke & no idea where the fish are (or follow the other boaters with FF's and not be so ouvious that I am mooching vital information such as the location of fish -grin-)<br /><br />and that would probably start another forum..<br /><br />anyhow with the other reports from the fishfiders it is hard to be opinionated with something that I have never messed with.<br />other boating electronics:<br />currently I have a garmin e-trex gps,it works great,no complants exept that I have to buy a power reducer for voltage issues,then I can direct connect with the BIG battery in the boat VS. the little battery in gps (works great for the hills-have not try'ed out on water,I think it would be great for crab & shrimp cages)or for unforseen reason I am out on the water after sunset.<br /><br />the next thing would be a VHF...<br /><br />when its all done,and I am in debt to my eye's it will look Very much like this one...<br />I have the '14 <br />here is the link & they shure look nice<br /><br /> http://www.unifliteworld.com/ <br />yes i am gonna paint it red,hopefully I am not as old as the captain in that pic when I am done !<br /><br />Say No To War!<br />guess all us 'protesters'who was against king Bush Jr. was right(thats another forum)<br />Peace

18rabbit

Captain

Riptide – it might be easier/less expensive to install a $10 12v cigarette lighter/powerpoint in the boat and use a standard Garmin power adapter for your e-Trex, if they make one. Just an idea.

riptide116

Seaman

rolling out tomorrow to take a look at this fishfinder (same one) check out the condition ect...<br /><br />I dont wanna sound like a squelch but should a talk to dude about a "limited return" or something to cover my arse if this is a lemmon OR it ends up stolen and Mr.Law runs the ## and they come up hot I think I would like to know who I bout it from (formal admisistrative Paperwork)<br /><br />is this right or am i asking too much ?<br /><br />Riptide116

lund17

Petty Officer 1st Class

They do make a 12v adaptor for the E-Trex. I installed an outlet on boat and got an adjustable marine mount for the console. I move the E-trex from the car (velcro) to the boat to my hunting coat. Love the little beast.

riptide116

Seaman

yeah,going to bite it for convenence for the garmin power supply,Alas for trying to build one of my own is impossible,I gotta go corperate (resistance is futile)<br /><br />for the fish finder,unshure if I am asking for too much for a recept from the seller in case of problems (dead fishfinder or stolen?)<br />is that asking too much from seller?<br /><br />going to install a 'horn' and contact swich,Can I just mount the horn under dashboard (prefer not to put any more holes in the thing)<br />going/prefer to use a automotive 12-V with relay(auto junkyard shopping),its a tiller drive but all the swiches are going under dashboard for dry-ness,so I gotta jump up and move forward to operate the horn(all of swiches are under dash) when or if I am underway,<br />again I ask if this is a good idea ?<br /><br />and alas another stupid one...when I was on the F/V bountifull in alaska, there was the biggest damm lighs facing forward so the driver could see what is ahead in regards to waves..<br />(not like my vessle could even carry 1 of them lights -let alone power it..)<br />I would like to attach a forward facing light for if I am out on water and would lighs would be needed or even to have the option for a light,washington state regulats that the nav lights are visible at all times,now that case in point,can I place a forward facing light saayy...right in front of the windsheild on the sides.... that would bring it back from the nav lights about 2 & 1/2 ft,allso the forward lights would be mounted on the deck like the nav lights (same altitude as seen from another boater)...thats a problem right ??<br /> <br />not that I plan to be out on the water in the puget sound @ night,but if say if the situation happens,I would prefer not to be mis-identified or such and end up in/causing a accident on the water.<br /><br />I have asked this question to the 13 district Coast Guard and I was informed that it would be coverd and I could ask away if I was to take my vessle in to a check-out station and see if my boat is determined to be 'ship-shape'<br />taking by boat for a drive on the road is not a option right now,hella time for my van to blow out a tranny...(project#2,743,391 on my honey-doo list)<br /><br />I dont plan on forward facing lights to blind other boaters,that is not my intent or desire..just to see ahead within 100 ft or so for good reaction distance( or whatever the law/code is)for safe operation,slow is the motto at night<br />I am not going to install a Zillion candle power light,a regular 12volt and something that dont suck the battery ....<br /><br />fix'ed forward face'ing lights or should I go with a ajustable light(kinda like the tow truck spot lights that u can move & point while inside truck)<br /><br />Any Info on any of these minor questions would be appreciated...I will get my computer mechanic to help with the post and the pics from the electric system and overall restoring could be viewed.<br /><br />Crunch time for boat time,most of the other major S*** is allready done<br /><br />peace<br />(Admin:sorry for the novel-just many questions)

riptide116

Seaman

well just brought home the fishfinder(hummingbird pro angeler 400+),looks great on the dashboard area,now just gotta install it....<br /><br />still pending issues with lighting placement for forward facing white light..any ideas/suggestions ?<br /><br />Crunch time for boating season...

snowshoe

Seaman

I'm interested in how the 400tx worked out for you My friend has one but he can't get it to show the fish on the screen -- temp, depth etc works fine.<br />As for lights to see at night, most operator don't have them except for a spot light to check out items that may appear on the water (water reflects so much that you can generally see enough to navigate w/o headlights).

riptide116

Seaman

well lets see,I have now got a few weeks with the tail end of the shake down cruse,i.e.bot top,bum switch,small dinky dork time sucker things...<br /><br />anyway back to the fishfinder<br />when start-up:make shure the trancducer is connected,if not it will only show the simulator mode,option mode and diagnostic.<br /><br />on my system the settings are:<br />sensitivity -3 to +2 depending on the rip off the Point defiance tide..it will pick up ghosts<br /><br />fish I.D.-ON @ 2 fish symbol<br />contrast 2<br />display speed:3<br />auto depth screen ajust:ON<br />if the LCD screen fogs up,let the sun beat down on it and it will clear,DONT FREAK ! ! !<br />umm thats about all I can remember,I was out at 5am this morning but all I can remember is that jack and then followed up by a king,pulled em outta the water by 1130am and on the smoker by 1PM<br /><br />fullfilment happend about 7PM..<br /><br />here is a link to the website for a on line manual:<br /> http://www.humminbird.com/images/PDF/400tx.pdf <br /><br />or shoot another post and I will get back to ya<br /><br />allmost did a 4th of july on the water but I did not want my first night run to be in a cluster fluck with a bunch of other boaters,rather to be on a relaxed situation with-out 500 other boaters in close quarters<br />I have a spot light instead of a fixed mount system,less holes I gotta drill into the boat!!<br /><br />I was amazed I limited out today,never happend before,well I was fishing from shore back then.<br /><br />oh,side note:<br />that fish smell shure took over that fresh paint smell,bout time too !!!<br />the mouth of the puallup river opens tomorrow for them big kings !!!<br />bummer ya can only keep 1 a day<br /><br />Peace