I bought a carb rebuild kit here on iboats......

masonboro

Seaman
......and I am too busy to install the new kit this weekend and really need to use the 1994 j15 for work tomorrow. I believe I have a sticky float valve as I am cutting out at WOT or when I hit a wake, also I am slow at building rpm's.
I recently purchased the motor and it was sitting for 1 year, I ordered the carb kit but in the meantime ran about 20 gallons of fresh gasoline and the motor has been running wonderfully. My symptoms were gone fully until today after I took the motor off the caribe inflatable and layed it on a dock cart and transported it several blocks where I chaned the gear oil. Then after changing gear oil and remounting back on the boat my symptoms came back, I parked the boat for several hours and it is running much better now except for a little low powered or slow to build rpms making it sluggish to plane.

What I am asking is since I am pressed for time and won't be able to install the kit and need the boat for work tomorrow is;

If I spray carb cleaner in the carb behind airbox will the cleaner reach my suspected float valve and buy me some time?
Or is there a cheap additive/cleaner to add to my fuel?

The motor was running amazing till I stirred something up when transporting.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: I bought a carb rebuild kit here on iboats......

All that spray will do is clean the throat of the carb. Try adding some Sea Foam to the gas. You might get lucky.

Rick.

Captain

Sounds like you agitated something that is floating around in your carb. during transport. There really isn't anything that will serve as a quick fix. Carb. cleaner like said above will only clean what it comes in contact with and spraying it into the throat will clean the throat but it is not good for the pistons and such (no oil). The only thing you can do is clean the carb. when you get the time. Best of luck. Rick.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Remove the float bowl plug and drain the float bowl. You can certainly flush the float bowl by just squeezing the primer bulb with the float bowl plug removed. Put some rags under the carb to soak up the gas.

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

As Ezeke said, flush it. Then add Sea Foam to the Fuel. It will start cleaning things up.