i believe my voltage regulator is bad.

baney8184

Cadet
i was lookin around in the engine compartment, and i noticed this black box with fins on it on the back wall.... it has a place for a plug but there was not one there.... so i looked around a lil more and i seen the plug layin on the floor, looked it over and seen that there was a jumper wire jumping 2 of the 3 wires. i am asuming that it is a voltage regulator. and i take it, it went bad and some one bypassed it.

so i need to find a new one. i guessing thats why i have sum fried/melted wires in the engine compartment.....

anyone know where i can get a new one???

Thanx N|ck

Maclin

Admiral
Re: i believe my voltage regulator is bad.

Post back with year, brand, model#, s/n, etc...lots of different stuff out there.

Your most recent history with the boat also helps....

• How long have you had the boat?
  • Has that component been like that the whole time?
  • Has the boat ever run correctly for you?
  • What does the battery voltmeter say when it is running?
  • Does this component have any led's or other indicators?

baney8184

Cadet

1969 or 70 Glastron
v-174? unsure of model.(closest one i could find that looks lke mine judging by pictures)
it has a 160hp merc. inline 6.

1.had the boat for a few months. never drove it on water, cuz i still need to fix the bellows,
2.the preveous owner must have jumped the wires.
3.boat seems to run fine wit muff's on it.(out of water)
4.i dont remember what the voltmeter says when its runnin.
5.no

i will take a pic of the part and post it in the next few min.

Thanx N|ck

baney8184

Cadet

heres a pic of the part.

P1010460.jpg

there are sum numbers on the side of the part on a tag.
part no. 37707
Kiekhaefer Corp.

then there is sum stuff stamped on it also.
12VN 6A

Delco-Remy

hope that helps.
Peace N|ck

Maclin

Admiral

Do a google search on "delco-remy 1116377" without the quotes

Looks like a voltage regulator to my eyes and that search backs it up.

Kiekhaefer Corp. founded or bought Mercury, and was the umbrella or corporate entity that had Mercury for a while into the 60's, I not sure for how long.

The important things on that part are the delco-remy and the 1116377.

The rest is probably the rating of 12volts and 6 amps.

Maclin

Admiral

If someone did jump the field wires to put out FULL voltage from the alternator I am surprised it did not end up catching on fire at some point.

There may be a modern equivalent for that part that work with some rewiring. It may also be simple enough to wire in a later model alternator from a different Mercury setup. I do not have any specific knowledge for these components but I have done the same type of thing in the automotive world to keep older cars alive longer. NOTE that I am NOT suggesting an automotive based solution, stay in the Mercury Marine world for the solution.

baney8184

Cadet

ok man i will see what i can come up with. i know nothing about electic's so i dont know......maybe sum one else has a solution.

Thanx for tha help.

Maclin

Admiral

You might get more help here if you started a new thread like "Can I swap out older alternator and regulator on a 1969 Merc 160hp I6 to later model Merc setup?" or something like that.

There will be a Merc model# for that engine and a serial number somewhere. That info will be very useful in your pursuit of a solution.

You may ned to get a new wiring harness as well, or count on having one made up. It will be very difficult to estimate what wires were compromised during the period the system was allowed to run with 16+ volts.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

It's possible someone (previous owner) put on an alternator with an internal regulator. It might be easiest to take off your alternator and take it to a shop have have them 1) check it out to see if it works... 2) tell you whether or not you need an external regulator.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I looked in the Mercruiser manual and it appears you have what they describe as a "charging system with a transistor voltage regulator and ammeter." Here's the wiring diagram:

transitorvoltageregulator.jpg

baney8184

Cadet

I looked in the Mercruiser manual and it appears you have what they describe as a "charging system with a transistor voltage regulator and ammeter." Here's the wiring diagram:

transitorvoltageregulator.jpg

i hope that some one changed tha altnater and it has a internal voltage reg. i will take it off and have it tested hopefully tomarrow.
and if not then what should i do?

Thanx N|ck