I am so confused?

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1992 evinrude 50 hp. it has been hard to start and slow to excelerate,and smokey. when I took off the air cover I gound that the top carb had gas pooring out of the throat of the carb top is must worst then the bottem. So i rebuild the carb adjusted the floats right and nothing changed. I tired ajusting the carbs the way the top secret file said but it would run with the carb screws that fair in the screws have to be at least 5 to 6 turns out. I seem to make things worst messing with the carbs.I also seem to be getting a miss fire now. I replace plugs and wires. no change. I pull the new plugs out after and hour a hour there were soaked and the bottem of the plugs had a brown color to them. The old plugs were also soaked at all times and a dark brown color. I did run a compression check top cylinder 140 bottem 132. I find that when I push the in key like you would to start it I seem to run normal. it I have also done a few decarbs with engine tuner senice these number because there seemed to be a lot of carbon in on the cylinders. I am at my wits end. I really need help with this one.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: I am so confused?

You have to set up your engine following the synchronization and linkage adjustment instructions in the factory manual for your specific motor.

The adjustments found in the top secret file do not apply. As it says, "... not for fixed jet carburetors".

milmat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WOW ! Everything you describe sounds like it is rich, BUT you said if you hold the enricher in (making it more rich) It runs normally.??
So maybe you have an Air leak and your dumping tons of fuel in it is trying to overcome the Air leak condition...?? Just a Thought..

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class

I thought the enricher might be stuck on was the problem? How do you check for air leaks in the fuel lines and is there any known problem areas?

Rick.

Captain

Need to clarify what you mean by rebuilding the carb. Did you tear it down and clean it thoroughly with carb. cleaner and then blow it out with compressed air? Did you purchase a new carb. kit for the rebuild? It sounds to me as though the carb. was fouled up and still is. Best of luck. Rick.

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I rebuilt the carb I put in new floats, seats, needles and all new gaskets. I also let the carbs sit in carb dip for 24 hours and blew out all the passage ways. I also blew in to the fuel inlet tube with the carb upside down and it no air passed threw it untill I moved the float up:D. so I know the needle and seat are working.