I am now installing my 3 rd starter in 5 years is this normal?

dst87mcssac

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello,

I am new to the board but I have been reading the Force Outboard Sections for about five years now. WOW this is such a helpful site.

I have a 22' Pontoon with a 1997 Force 75 HP Motor that has been very reliable so far. About 3 years ago I replaced the orginal starter with a replacement one from E-Bay for about $90.00 ( + Shipping). It lasted for about a year and a half and it went bad. I have never been too keen on Aftermarket Parts so I had the orginal starter rebuilt last August for a cost of $135.00 from a reliable Starter and Alternator Shop. Well it has been acting up for the past month and it finally left me stranded this weekend. I just purchased a new HEAVY DUTY ( HIGHER TORQUE) off of E-Bay for $129.00 ( + Shipping). I am not sure if I need the higher torque, but I hope the heavy duty aspect will help.

When I had my orginal starter rebuilt last year, the shop stated that it appeared to have some moisture damage. :eek: Heck it is a boat and a marine grade starter.

My questions are as follows:

#1) When I go to E-Bay and look up Mercury Force I see that the majority of the items for sale are starters. Are these starters prone to fail? Is it just a bad design?

#2) Is there a way to protect the starter from Moisture other then staying out of the lake? :confused:

#3) After looking at many post, it appears that my first and second starter may have just been dirty with carbon. I saw the trick about using fishing line to hold the brushes in place during reassembly. Thanks :D

#4) I have for now purchased a new Aftermarket Stater, but should I expect to replace these every 18 months? Replacing seems easier than cleaning.

Great Board and I am just wondering if I am the expection here or the rule. Other than this issue, the motor has been great. I service it every year in the spring. This site has given me alot of help.

Thanks, :)

Donald
Lake Norman, NC

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: I am now installing my 3 rd starter in 5 years is this normal?

Something is not right.
Could be a misaligned mounting bracket, or a bad electrical connection.

dst87mcssac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Rosco,

Thanks for the help. I will double check the brackets and electrical connections when I install by new E-Bay unit latter this week. :D

The bracket is casted into the motor if I remember correctly, but I could have a bad electrical connection. I recently cleaned and tightened the terminals several weeks ago when it started acting up. However, I have never checked my battery ground to the block. I just found out about it from reading some threads on this forum.

Thanks for all of the help.

This site is great.

Donald

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Just a feeling but it seems that the Force motors do have more starter troubles than some others.And more severe failures at that.
Also I think that the moisture level around a pontoon motor is higher than a typical planing hull.There can be a lot of spray back there.Not saying wet just higher moisture level.

gjm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had my starter rebuilt and it did not help. Came to be the top starter gear that engages the fly wheel was stripped. The rebuilder tested it by putting channel locks on the gear to hold it back, then putting power to the motor. He then gave me the new gear for 20 bucks. I later had to buy another at a marine store , and they charged me 60 bucks. I needed it then and could not wait. I think an auto store might have the same one at a better price.

dst87mcssac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Steelspike,

I think you have hit on something with the water that splashes on to the motor with my pontoon boat. It seems to be worse when I pull a tube. I do not do much tubing with this boat because it does not have a lot of torque. However, I do some time pull my 6, and 10 year olds.

I will take a look at this issue after I bolt up my new starter this weekend.

THanks for everyone's help,

Donald