I am new to boating. i am thinking about buying a 1997 four winns 205 sundowner

sdw41lite

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am thinking about buying a 1997 205 sundowner with 5.7 gli eng.225 hp. volvo eng. and outdrive. comes with a trailer for 9900, is this good boat and what should I look for. He keeps this boat at the marina its in the water all the time, the bottom has been painted. The boat will be used in lake St. Claire

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: I am new to boating. i am thinking about buying a 1997 four winns 205 sundowner

The price of any used boat is primarily dependent on it's condition. $9900 may be a fair price if the boat and trailer are in pristine condition. Be sure to conduct a sea trial and have the boat examined by a competent marine mechanic before making an offer.
Be sure to look for evidence of rot; soft spots in the floor or damage to the transom. Is the boat kept covered to prevent rain from collecting?

89-conv

Seaman Apprentice
Re: I am new to boating. i am thinking about buying a 1997 four winns 205 sundowner

Having recently bought a 1996 190 horizon, boy did i get myself in a mess.. First off that out-drive. SX Cobra, moreover a SX Frankenstein.. about 5 years and they switched it, so parts are hard to come buy, [I mean "BUY"]. While Merc parts are everywhere, and 1/3 the cost.. My 5.0 Engine seems fine, but still have not been able to take it in the water for a good text,, to busy repairing that SX..

Otherwise, if the chump who sold it to me wasn't a huge lier, "Excellent Mechanical condition",, hadn't broke the prop, bent the $600 prop shaft, forced another prop into the twisted splin to hide it.. ever actually serviced it in 4 years, verses applying paint here and there to hide the junk.. including painting the trailer to hide rusted out railing and how DANGEROUS it would be towing it. I think all Four Winns trailers are JUNK because it's so thin and not galvanized, or aluminum. Probably wouldn'y matter if galvenized because the rails are so thin,, they'll rust out from the inside to out.. . other than that? . whelp, they are pretty much like any-other, save Four Winns is Sposato have this neat hull design which turns like a sports car..

Maybe someday I'll get to find out what that's like LOL..

and for 10 grand?? what you looking at better be NICE!!!... Already don't like that it's bottom painted and sitting in water all the time..

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just some thoughts, Your drive is a volvo (this is good). Four winns (imho) makes a good solid boat. One thing that warrents looking at is the trailer. If it is a 97 and he keeps the boat in the water look hard at the tires and brake system... 13 years sitting isn't the best for them (not that they are HUGE ticket items to repair, but a cost that should be factored in). Just from a quick google search these boats sell for 5-12 k so for around 10k it ought to be (near) show room condition (imo) (not the best price but not the worst either, if it looks good, it's an average price).

sdw41lite

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I havent bought the boat still looking but I have him down to $8000 now, the later in the season the more its going down and he bought a bigger boat now needs money