Hyster Forklifts anyone?

Oregon Jon

Seaman
I have a 1977 Hyster SS25 that has some issues. I need to get a repair manual for it but I'd like to find a used one. I've seen them before on E-Bay, but I thought I would start here. Also if anyone has any expertise on these things I would love to chat. Thanks

jimyoung

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Hyster Forklifts anyone?

It has been awhile, but I was a Hyster service mechanic in the early 80's, cant help with a manual, but outside of electronics on the engine they cant have changed much.....what are the problems/symptoms?

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I also worked on them quite a bit in the military. Let me know if I can help.:)

Oregon Jon

Seaman

Thanks for the replies. Jim, I sent you an email to the link you gave me also.

Anyway here is the short version: It needs a valve job, which is the main reason for the repair manual (specs and such), but it really doesn't run too bad. The most aggrevating thing is the transmission/clutch. It uses the Monopedal system, that I assume you have seen before. It has plenty of fluid, but acts like it doesn't. It takes 5 or 6 seconds to move in either direction. Actually forward gear is the worst, and has trouble with any kind of an incline. I see no leaks, and the fluids look clean.

I was hoping someone could just tell me where the magic adjuster knob was:D

Seriously though, is there an adjustment for this or do you think it isjust wearing out?

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have the trans filter and hydraulic filters been changed?

Does it respond better once it is warmed up?

Are the brakes dragging?

Hoss the Hermit

Chief Petty Officer

Operated them for years, got a lot of the newer ones in the place I work, still. Our plant fork truck guy says manuals are available fom Hyster, but pretty pricey. I'll take in the model # tomorrow, he said he's got some old manuals still kicking around, and no longer needs. Didn't think to take it today, let ya know tomorrow what I find out. Is that lp gas, deisel, or what?

Oregon Jon

Seaman

The transmission and hydraulic filters have not been changed since we bought it in June of this year. To be honest I did not know it had this type of filter. Our previous forklift did not.

We had the brakes redone recently and they do not seem to be dragging.

Ours is a dual fuel model but the gasoline line has been disconnected, so for us it is LPG only.

Thanks again for your help.

jimyoung

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a magic adjuster...its called a relief valve.....again I would need the manual to adjust......if I remember right it is the kind that can be shimmed....sounds like you are getting a lot of help.....you should be running right along before too long

Oregon Jon

Seaman

OK I think I found the transmission filter and replaced it. It is a large filter with PUROLATOR P-192-N inscribed on the top of the housing.

This does not seem to have made a difference.

I am using standard ATF. Should I be using something else?

Hoss the Hermit

Chief Petty Officer

We used to run SS50's at about that time. My guy at work thinks there are a couple manuals in the "archives" ( somewhere out in the back room or up over the shop), said he'll take a look, he thought they covered all the SS models in that mid-size range. I'll keep ya posted

Oregon Jon

Seaman

Thanks Hoss. I'll keep checking. It seems like it is getting worse.

If your guy ends up finding a manual that he can part with, I would certainly be willing to pay for it.

Thanks everyone again for your input and please keep any other suggestions coming.;)

Hoss the Hermit

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry for the delay, Jon, had the weekend off. Guy at work took a look, couldn't find anything. May have been thrown out, or just buried deeper. Will keep eyes open, any news will report back. Have you checked area dealer?

Oregon Jon

Seaman

Thanks anyway Hoss.

Please do keep your eyes and ears open for me. It is greatly appreciated.

I did contact the local dealer and I can get a service manual through them for a mere $203.00 plus freight.......:eek:

On a potentially brighter note, I did discover (with some expert help) that the master cylinder plunger was somewhat out of adjustment which accounted for some of the loss in power and I found out that ATF is the wrong thing for the tranny. So I am trying to figure out how to drain everything and start fresh with 20 weight.

Anyway, thanks again for your efforts.:)

Oregon Jon

Seaman

Nice huh?

So if you ever here that they are going to be throwing any old manuals for anything away, I would definitely offer to take them off of their hands if I were you.;)

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.