Hydrophoil Stabilizer

msquicci

Cadet
I have a 97 Merc 75 on a 17' Smokercraft. I'm thinking about a stabilizer. I want to come out of the hole sooner, be able to cut down on my rpms and stay out of the hole, and improve gas efficiency. Any opinions?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hydrophoil Stabilizer

That it will do. You may or may not lose a bit on the top end and milage may or may not improve...

Clams Canino

Commander

Correct - worth a try for your application.<br /><br />-W

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Nauticus Smart Tabs are a much better solution!

redbuster

Seaman Apprentice

smart tabs is the answer. i had the dolphin stabilizer and it did nothing compared to the smart tabs.

waterinthefuel

Commander

We use the Stingray and have seen substantial improvement on a flat bottom aluminum boat. It used to reach for the stars coming out of the hole, now it stays perfectly flat through the entire speed range.

studlymandingo

Commander

I had a 16' Center Console Sportcraft Fisherman with a 75 'rude. I used a Stingray on the unit, and it did improve the planing, beyond that, it did very little, it was out of the water. The Smart Tabs improve the planing time/speed, and also help to stabilize the boat once you are planed out, seems to help the top end. I just recently upgraded to an 18' Center Console with a 150 Mariner. I'm getting some Porpoising if I'm trimmed out and below a certain speed, I'll be installing the smart tabs with no intention of wasting my cash on a stingray. I think for your boat the tabs can be had for just slightly double the cost of the 'ray, I personally think you would be happier in the long run to get a set of tabs.<br /><br />That being said (my opinion) opinions are like @$$#0l&$: everybody has one, and everyone else's stinks!!!

TxShorty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The design of the 'whale tail' isn't that of a stabilizer, but rather to help you get up to a plane. Once on plane, the cavitaion plate (and the whale tail) should be just skimming the surface and so would provide no stability. Trim tabs provide great stability on plane, but aren't nearly as effective as a whale tail in helping to plane the boat.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by TxShorty:<br /> Trim tabs provide great stability on plane, but aren't nearly as effective as a whale tail in helping to plane the boat.
Wooops, "WRONG"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <br /><br />Smart tabs are a lot better than a fin at getting a boat on plane. I can attest to that myself.

msquicci

Cadet

I found them on iboats.com. They make it sound like it's fairly simple to attach. What is your experience?

redbuster

Seaman Apprentice

maybe some hydrofoiles are better than others but the whale tail that i had did very little to help my hole shot, it then would push the bow down after on plane and made the boat slower. now with the smart tabs there is not hole to get out of. plane time went from 7 to 8 sec. to 3 sec. much more stable in rough water, no porpoising better top end speed,and also able to stay on plane at much lower speed, oh and they are adjustable for fine tuning and very easy to install. i have yet to read anything negative about them and they do everything they say they will do. absolutly the best purchase i have ever made for my boat.