hydrolocking question

4poco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After reading a post about hydrolock, it got me wondering,lets say your intake fills with water and you turn the key over and engine hydrolocks, can just the torque from the starter do enough damage to cause bent valves or even bent rods?<br /><br />Now, you remove water by removing spark plugs and blow out water, engine starts and runs ok (idle) with no miss or temp rise and good oil pressure.<br />Is there damage? <br />I did this due to no experience.<br />brain fart on my part<br /><br />If i posted this in wrong forum,i do apoligize.

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: hydrolocking question

Yes.<br /><br />Maybe, probably not.<br /><br />Change the oil & filter.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

It is not only possible but a frequent occurance to bend rods with the torque of a starter. Happens a lot with cracked heads or blocks. Shut the engine off when warm, crack is spread because of expansion in engine heat. Shut off engine so compression goes away, compression is keeping water out or burning water off as it drips in. 20 mninutes later try to start it but water has pooled inside. <br /><br />Probably no damage. The water will blow out then evaporate as cylinder heats up. One problem though, sometimes the water droplets left in the cylinder can cause a hot spot and pit a cylinder. Not often does this happen.<br /><br />You may be able to get away without changing the oil, but why risk it. Oil is cheap.<br /><br />If it runs good, carries good oil pressure, temp good, you have no damage as a result.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

But how did this occur? You need to tell more of the story.....Mr. D & MR.DD are exactly right ...But, you need to know why it happened....And, finally, Yes...If your starter is strong you probably did a little damage....Unless your compression #'s were low to begin with....I would do a compression check to see what the condition is now....And check your flappers & static water line tolerances. Search "Static waterline level' & you will learn alot.....Some boats are more prone than others & an exhaust modification may help you in the future ....JK

Dunaruna

Admiral

I'm guessing that it was a winterising mishap.<br />Coolant got poured where coolant shouldn't be poured. <br /><br />Am I close?

4poco

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dunaruna, you are 100% right.<br />That is exactly what i did, removed a plug on manifold thinking it was a water port, but nooo it was not ,intake. After relializing what i had just done,sucked as much ant-freeze out as i could. without knowing anything about hydrolock, tryed to start engine.a couple turns of the starter and whack, instant stop!<br />So at this point, removed plugs,blew the water out of cylinders,dryed plugs and started. I then let it warm to normal temp. Shut off and started changing oil,3 times to be exact to flush milky oil. Oil did clean up nice. On last start-up I fogged engine,(marvels) did the winterize thing minus the water in intake. Put boat to bed... But now im sitting here wondering if this sping will this boat run at high rpms and what damge my have occurred?<br />This was my first time winterizing and new to boat ownership. Am looking for a manaul for this vessel,but that doesnt help at this point.<br />oil pressure normal, temp normal, running on muffs,engine sounded normal......<br />2005 bayliner175 with 3.0L merc<br />should had takin it in, but live and learn i guess

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by 4poco:<br /> So at this point, removed plugs,blew the water out of cylinders,dryed plugs and started. I then let it warm to normal temp. Shut off and started changing oil,3 times to be exact to flush milky oil. Oil did clean up nice. On last start-up I fogged engine,(marvels) did the winterize thing minus the water in intake. Put boat to bed... But now im sitting here wondering if this sping
I think you will be fine. I had a leaky exhaust manifold, got water (saltwater!) in the oil, and I basically did what you did. Oil changes, up to temp, fogged........you'll be okay