hydrofoil (whales tail)

mikep9927

Cadet
I understand this keeps the nose of the boat down and up on plane. But does it decrease the max speed of the boat?

khc1970

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: hydrofoil (whales tail)

I believe htdrofoil gives you better hole shot, but it lowers your top speed by a couple of knots.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Outboard Non-repair topic

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If correctly installed the fin will not lower your speed. A fin is a tool that allows you to raise the X dimension to increase overall efficiency, including top speed.<br /><br />If the motor height is not correct, yes it will decrease your top speed and it will decrease overall efficiency.

xsbuilder

Recruit

I look at a hydrofoil this way ... it increases the water born surface area of the engine's lower unit and therefore the drag factor is greater too. If the boat were properly trimmed before you added the foil, then the holeshot might improve but the extra drag will probably slow the top speed a bit. On the other hand, if your boat was out of trim before (say it ran bow high), then adding the foil may actually increase top speed because the boat's original attitude was incuring more drag than the foil added. Running leveler it could then be faster.<br /><br />On my boat, adding a hydrofoil shortened the holeshot, made it steer better at speed, and gave it a lower running angle which improved the ride but it also took a little off the top end (~1 mph). <br /><br />-xsb :rolleyes:

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Welcome XS!!<br /><br />Reread my reply -- think about it...

Moody Blue

Captain

From what I have seen, heard and experienced, the foil should be on the water surface once the boat is on plane. The motor should not be mounted such that the foil remains under water at planing speeds.

xsbuilder

Recruit

I can only speak to my personal experience in putting foils on my own boat. Here is what I found.<br /><br />Whether the foil is in the water or not when the boat is planing depends on the position of the mounting point (the anti-cav plate) relative to the bottom of the hull and the design of the foil. <br /><br />If the ACP is inline with or slightly above the bottom, the foil will be surfaced fully or partly at speed and have less drag but also it won't be doing much good in leveling the boat. Obviously, the farther out of the water it is, the less effect on running angle but also less drag. <br /><br />I tried two different foil types, the first one was designed to be out of the water at speed (it is in the form of a Vee). It helped with the holeshot but once up on plane the boat still ran a bit nose high. Speed loss with this foil was minimal. <br /><br />The second foil is known as the "Stingray". It is designed to work best while fully submerged. It has a pronounced airfoil shape which needs water flowing over it to produce max lift. I tried moving the motor to put this even with the hull bottom and got poorer results than when it was positioned lower where the foil was under water when planing. If you have power trim or a jackplate on the outboard, this may be easy to try. For me, it meant remounting the engine but the results were informative.<br /><br />When it was down in the most effective position, drag was enough to reduce top speed by a little over 1 mph but the improvements on control were dramatic. The most noticable factor was the ability to plane with a normal load at 13mph while without it minimum planing speed was 17mph. I thought the overall benefits were worth a little off the top so that's the one I kept. <br /> <br />Like they say, your results may vary.<br /><br />-xsb

papakevin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

XS Builder,<br /><br />I have a Stingray on my boat, but how can you tell if your trim is properly adjusted? I have a 48 SPL, so it is a manual trim, which is a real pain...<br /><br />Any input you can give is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

BillP

Captain

My Doelfin is mounted above the boat bottom and gives higher top speed. I can trim the motor higher and get a few hundred rpm increase without venting the prop.