Hydrofoil Question

tscott

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all. Have a '91 Stratos 290 S/F, with a '91 200 Evinrude XP.<br />Boat will porpose something fierce at all planning speeds except what is takes to stay on plane with motor trimmed pretty far in.<br />Bass Pro has last year's model StingRay Hydrofoil onsale for $24.99. Picked one up and put it on and I noticed that on the back of the cavitation plate on the top, the motor has a angled piece that angles down and stops at the very back of the cavitation plate.<br />This puts the foil way back on the plate. The back two holes actually went through the outside edge of that trim tab outboards have.(Won't move now but didn't need to mess with it anyay)<br /><br />Now I'm reading that these foils can break the cavitation plate from too much pressure. Because this foil has to sit so far back, should I pull it off and get the 2-piece doel fins and put those on? Those would be further forward.<br /><br />Don't want to break my cavitation plate.<br />Any advice appreciated.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Hydrofoil Question

Go the two piece route. Sounds like the one you bought was not intended for your motor. I have twin V4s and fins on both.

jomac

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is a way around that, mines's been on two years been though a couple bad days(6 to10' swells) personally I like the Hydro Foil over the doils have used both. that a look at the bottom of my photo album page 2 pics, To each his own. http://members.fishingworks.com/jomac/

Dan180cc

Seaman Apprentice

I had a simular problem with my boat and got some good information from several people here.<br />See the thread on sea-pro porposing under boat problems. My problem was cured by changing props had to go to a higher pitch Im not really sure <br />why this fixed it but it did. I gained 7mph and can push the trim out good now.<br /><br /> I did look at several hydrofoils and found 2<br />you may be interested in. Both of them bolt onto the bottom of the cav. plate and not the top.This should really take the stress off the plates sides<br /> They are both made of aluminum and not plastic.<br /><br />Check out Bass Pro shops online and Cabelas<br />The name of the Hyrofoil is the Angler and Edge<br />series Both run around $50. <br /><br />Good luck Dan.