hydrofoil for small engines

Prin

Seaman Apprentice
Does any company make a hydrofoil, like stingray, for small outboards? Do they help significantly? I have a 4.5 motor and need just a bit more to help get the dingy on plane. I hate to spend the bucks to go to a bigger motor. Trying to get most with the least bucks.

Thanks,

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: hydrofoil for small engines

not that is know of, try more weight on bow, or you may just be under powered.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

the smallest i've seen for is a 9.9 ... but I've seen a guy that made some for his 5hp ... apperntly it worked nicely ...

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Is the motor at the right height, cavitation plate close to same level of bottom of hull? If it's lower, that might be your problem. You might could buy a small whale tail and cut it down to fit your motor, mine is made of hard black plastic...seems like it would be an easy mod.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

4.5 is a tiny motor. I doubt anything will make a 4.5hp plane. You mention a "dingy"...as in round at the back similar to the front...or is it a flat back with a panel?

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Many dingy's are designed as small displacement hulls. Make sure you hull is designed to plane before you try to make it plane.

Prin

Seaman Apprentice

fishingdan said:
Many dingy's are designed as small displacement hulls. Make sure you hull is designed to plane before you try to make it plane.

I can get the boat to plane with just me in it and if I sit in the middle of the boat, so I know it can plane. It is a squared off back with a plastic transom. It has floorboards and an inflatable keel. It is rated for a six hp motor. My hope is to get a little more out of it so I can have two people and get on plane. I am trying to avoid buying a six hp and then find out it will not do better. The boat goes from 5-6 mph (no plane) to about 21 or so on plane. It is a SEABO, anyone else have one? I really like it. The floorboards are really tough to get in.

tommays

Admiral

I am not seeing a 4.5 hp motor plane two adults :) unless there real light

Tommays

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

it also depends on which 4.5hp engine you have, it might be a simple carb swap to make it a 6hp. You really wouldn't have to lay down much cash for a 6hp either the 4/4.5/6/7.5/8hp engines all sell for around the same price and you might be able to make a few bucks by swaping to a 6hp if you find a good deal.