Hydro- tail performance stabilizer

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer
My daughter used my Stingray to climbe up to the ladder to get in the boat when I wasnt watching. It broke the whale tale and scraped her up a bit but now I need a replacement. Has anyone tried IBOATS - Hydro-Tail? Performance Stabilizer for $29.99? I'll buy whatever it takes but don't want to spend $80 on one if I don't need to. --

The reason I ask is that I once built one too large out of stainless and although the boat was ALWAYS on a plane even in heavy chop, it really screwed up the performance in other areas.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hydro- tail performance stabilizer

Does your boat actually need one, most don't. If you have your boat set up correctly for the one you had, then it's best to get another one just like it, since each boat setup is sort of unique, what worked well for someone else, may be terrible for your boat. What boat and motor combo do you have now?

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

Currently I have a 1991 Johnson 150 on a 1985 19' Liberty. It's an unkown local manufacturer that went under long ago so here's a pic of the hull . Don't know that it would help, but it's worth a shot. I'll try it without it, but I'm sur I'll need one as soon as tubing and skiing weather arrive again.

018.jpg

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Look on Ebay, you can almost always find a deal.

As you said run it without and see what it does.

Made mine out of 3/16 aluminum took some playing around but now it works really well.

I am sure someone will tell you to get smart tabs which are worth the money but if you don't want to spend $80 on a foil you won't want them as they are quite a bit more than that.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

That's a nice looking hull.

I can't really tell from the pic but does it have a pad? (is the very bottom of the hull flat?)

It kind of looks like it but I can't tell for sure.

If so your really going the wrong way with a foil, cause your lifting where you should be riding.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that's a deep v, all the way to the transom. put trim tabs as far outboard as possible, see red mark in picture.

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 0

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Is it?

Looks like it's flat in the back.

Oh don't get me wrong TD I agree on the tabs.

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

here is the rear if it helps

Photo_091008_003.jpg
I don't get why the area right of the transducer is inverted/ pitched in at nearly 30 degrees away from the transom wich is close to 14 degrees

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink- ever heard that one TD ?
I'm sure those smart tabs are great for performance but I would be very reluctant to put more holes in the transom in order to hold something that any of my well meaning passengers could mistake for a foot hold when getting in the boat. Is it possible that those flared out areas i mentioned are supposed to be some kind of planing feature?

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

That's a pad.

If it had a notched transom it would be just like my brothers Velocity.

I've never seen those other things before my guess is yes they are. Once your up and running on the pad they have no affect so it's probably to help it get up.

Your boat is supposed to ride up on that lower section of the hull, the really shallow v part on the very bottom, it's called a pad.

Lose the fin thingy off your motor it's trying to lift your boat up from the rear center (motor) and that's where your hull is supposed to be riding.

You want to get up on the pad and then air the front to gain more speed and efficiency.

Try dialing in what you have. Check motor height and then see how it works and get used to it without the foil. Maybe you will find you want a different prop.