Hydro-locked 4 cylinder

I have a 1984 Bayliner with a Volvo-Penta AQ125B 4 cylinder engine. This afternoon I was cruising along at approx. 4500 rpm when the engine slowed down by itself, I shut it off and then it wouldn't turn over. After some research, I found water in all 4 cylinders, which I cleared out. Now when I try to start, it turns over rather fast, like low compression. I checked the timing belt, and it appears to have all the teeth on the belt stripped off. How did the engine get hydro-locked, and the timing belt stripped? Which happened first? Before today the boat ran like a top!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hydro-locked 4 cylinder

Impossible to say what caused what, but I would sure put a new belt on it, (check the tensioner) and see if it will start. Then you can start checking things. But I would sure get it running before any dissassembly.
I would bet the belt went bad on you and caused the water to suck back into the exhaust after it got way out of time and from there it hydrolocked.
Are you in fresh water or salt water?

Don said:
Impossible to say what caused what, but I would sure put a new belt on it, (check the tensioner) and see if it will start. Then you can start checking things. But I would sure get it running before any dissassembly.
I would bet the belt went bad on you and caused the water to suck back into the exhaust after it got way out of time and from there it hydrolocked.
Are you in fresh water or salt water?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You better get that engines cylinders and valves flushed and oiled ASAP or you won't ever get it to turn again. And, when I say ASAP, that means NOW.

flashback

Captain

have to agree! the belt broke first and left some of the exhaust valves open on the down stroke and sucked in the water.. pull all the plugs and dump some oil in the cylinders ASAP, then turn the engine over several times to get the oil worked in even if you haven't got the belt replaced yet.. and like Don said, "Do it Now"... good luck

tystick

Petty Officer 1st Class

if don s says asap then ya better do it yesterday