hydro electric shift 69 johson

transamjegs

Cadet
i need to know if you can change a hydro electric shift lower gear unit to a mechenical shift. if anyone knows could you please tell me. the motor runs fine but its stuck in forward. i hear that hydro electric shift can be a problem. :confused:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: hydro electric shift 69 johson

No way to hook up shift linkage. Have you checked the electrical system to find out what is wrong with yours.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

What model?
The 40 hp is an Electra-matic, the 55 and 85 hp are hydro-electrics.

They can be converted, but it is a massive PIA and pretty well requires a whole donor motor for the lower end, linkages, cowling and other stuff.

By the way, a hydro-electric defaults to forward. It may not be stuck.

transamjegs

Cadet

im new with boat motors. car motor i know. when i put it in reverse, it stays forward. i start it its in forward and in neutral its forward. i checked wires to the knife connnection and they are getting power. no power forward 1 wire power 2 wire power reverse but havent checked wires to through the bottom end because no connections.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Is the gearcase full of Type C oil? These don't use the regular 85-90 weight stuff.

transamjegs

Cadet

yeah its full of oil.this boat was given to me couldnt harly turn it down, they had it in the water doing fine in 2007. it has sit with no use since then. motor runs good. ive not had it in the water yet. have tested motor in tank

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

It did not shift running in the tank? I ask this because the hydro's do need to be running to shift.....

transamjegs

Cadet

It did not shift running in the tank? I ask this because the hydro's do need to be running to shift.....

i put prop in water tank started motor and instantly the prop was turning i was in neutral. it was throwing water out of tank. tried shifting to reverse then back to neutral but the prop never stopped turning. im going to have to hook a water hose up cause i cant really see the prop when in tank. when i got this boat they told me the water pump was not working ive checked it and looks fine. they also said they were having trouble getting it to go in reverse. but these people were not no mechanics at all.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I am sort of concerned about your electrical hookup, since you are running it in a tank.

Nevertheless, if it is grounded and you have power to the green wire it should go into neutral. If you have power to both blue and green wires, it should go into reverse.

The electrical power only energizes a pair of solenoids in the lower unit. The solenoids only close a pair of oil flow control valves. From there on, it is strictly hydraulic shift. The gear oil doubles as the hydraulic fluid. That is why people are suggesting the oil and that the motor must be running (for the oil pump to be turning).

All bets are off if you have a 40hp. You still haven't said. But the 40 is not hydro-electric.

The Hydro-Electrics cannot be converted to mechanical.