Hydraulic Trim Line Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bayliner175xt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi i have a 2003 Bayliner 175XT with a 3.0L Mercruiser and a Alpha 1 stern drive.
I have to replace one of the hydraulic lines from the pump to the to the back of the motor where it passes through the assembly and out to the alloy block.
I was told I had to remove the motor, is this correct or is the mechanic trying to rip me off.
One of the lines has a crack in it and needs to be replaced.

thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Hydraulic Trim Line Problem

I was told I had to remove the motor, is this correct

Nope,... The little manifold bolts on from Outside the boat, Underneath the transom housing...

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

What he said. ^^^

Having said that, it can be a bear to get to from inside the boat with everything in the way.

speedgater

Seaman Apprentice

I have a similar problem and the mechanic told me the same thing, that the only way to get to it is to pull the engine

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have a similar problem and the mechanic told me the same thing, that the only way to get to it is to pull the engine
Find a new mechanic, he will charge you for pulling the engine but he won't.
You can pull the engine, but you still can't get to the lines to get them off. The ONLY way to get them off is to pull the manifold down from outside the boat, and then you can get a wrench on the.

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used a wire tight up to the old line on the outside, pulled the old line out from inside the boat, tight the new line to the wire and pulled the new line back through to the outside by the wire. Some hassle but Engine stayed in!
fw line is the up, the higher (aft) line is the down one. (on mine it was)
Good luck!
Edit: Unless the lines are bolted to the transom or bilge somewere under the engine.

ziggy

Admiral

it can be a bear to get to from inside the boat with everything in the way.
that does sound impossible... ;)

check out item 5 in the attachment. i beleive that's what your going after. remove the manifold so you can get to the other side of it where the trim lines from the pump go to.

this is a pic of an mc-1 drive. yours will likely be similar..

009-1.jpg

the white is my transom. ya gotta get under the drive and look up.

Attachments

• trim pump hydraulic system, genII.JPG
    trim pump hydraulic system, genII.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Except this thread is about a Mercruiser, 'n you just said in another thread,...
You've got a Volvo...

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

that does sound impossible... ;)

Well, I wasn't suggesting he could get the manifold off from the inside. :D Simply that it can be hard to get at the area from the inside in order to snake the hoses up from down below.

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just had a line from the trim pump break off on my 1973 Mercruiser 165 in an Aristocraft 19. It is the one that goes through the transon on the port or left side. I read on another thread about having to pull the motor or pull the manifold on the outside. I see the two nuts holding the manifold, do I remove them and then it is obvious how to take the line off? From the front of the transom it looks like an 11/16 or 3/4" wrench could fit on the fitting. Will get to it tomorrow. Was going to take it out on the Lake, 65 and sunshine, when the drive wouldn't go up. Took out the Gulf Coast 18' sailboat for a good time.

Status
Not open for further replies.