hydraulic Lifter

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
my service manual says i can break down the lifters clean them check them for wear and if all looks good, fill half way with oil, reassemble and we are back in business.. my question is these are $5 lifters at NAPA, should I just replace them or use the ones in the engine and just clean them up? <br /><br />not that farmiler with hyrdaulic lifters, what are the chances of one failing if I dont fill it "exactly" halfway with oil? also what kind of oil would do they use? dare I assume hydraulic oil?<br /><br />any thoughts? :rolleyes: <br /><br />470 Mercruiser

f_inscreenname

Commander
Re: hydraulic Lifter

Dont do it. Yes I am sure there is a $5.00 lifter 5 X 16 = about 80 bucks a set. As for oil 10W40 motor oil. Filling half way is just to prime them.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

You fill them with engine oil. I have reused lifters in the past without a problem, as long as they weren't giving you any problems they should be OK. If you're doing major rebuild work though I'd get new ones just so everything was new.

LubeDude

Admiral

If you reuse them make sure you put them back on the same lob they came out of. If you allready have them mixed up, there is no choice but to buy new.

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i also forgot to mention I will be putting them in a different block from whick they came out of (old block cracked), that shouldnt make any difference, should it :confused:

Bondo

Staff member

Changing Blocks won't Matter........<br /><br />Changing Cam Lobes will.......<br />Are the Lifter Bottoms Perfectly Flat ??????<br />If there is Any dishing in the surface, Replace Them............

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hmm I didnt keep track of which one went where... so they have to go back exactly where they came from is what your saying? unfortunally I did not keep track of that :rolleyes:

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

If you didnt keep track of which one went where, you have to buy new ones, or they will be wiped out in a very short time.<br /><br />I suggest you get a new cam/lifters kit. Probably not much more than just buying the lifters.<br /><br />Ken

Walt T

Lieutenant

reusing lifters is penny wise and pound foolish.

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

reusing lifters is penny wise and pound foolish.
new lifters it is... anyone know where I can find a cam/lifter kit for this engine?<br /><br />thanks all

Bondo

Staff member

NAPA has the lifters...... #18-1401......<br />No listing on the cam though.......<br /><br />A 4.3LX would've dropped in there with only Twice as much work................. :D <br />And, it uses the Same gears....