hydraulic fluid

mikeb62

Cadet
Re: hydraulic fluid

ok. so nothing special is used for marine hydraulics. Pretty much anything can be used. trans fluid, ND motor oil, hydro fluid...

Wallup

Cadet

Not sure about all of those. I had a boat dealer tell me that power steering fluid was fine to use.

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer

mike, on my boat its, Trans fluid in the power steering (says right on the cap)and sae 30 in the trim tilt unit.

mikeb62

Cadet

ok great. I know all of those can be used in most hydraulics just didnt know if there was some speacial marine type. I use ill going to use trans fluid or ND oil in mine .i have allot laying around because that is what i use for the hydros on my car.

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don't use engine oil, atf or regular hydrolic for tilt motor.I was told motor oil is too thick to use for tilt pump.<br /><br /><br /> Jim

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

SAE 30 is okay in Antigua, not so good in Alaska. Older Prestolite MerCuiser pumps call for SAE 20 or something obscure like that. Yeah, like anybody on the planet carries that! I don't know of any marine-specific fluids except for gearlube and TCW-3. Dexron, Mercon, Power steering fluid, hydraulic jack oil...they all work. If it's really cold where you boat, go synthetic.

mikeb62

Cadet

no Im in Florida so regular Non-detergent oil will work.. <br /><br />thanks