Hydraulic/Electric Trim Tabs

Hey Guys,<br /><br />I'm pretty new to the world of boating. I have an 18' Marada MX-1 Sport. It is a Fish/Ski boat, with a 4.3 Mercruiser V6. 1997 Model Year. Like I said, I'm pretty new to all of this and just read an article about trim tabs in Trailer Boats Magazine. The article seemed to be geared towards ocean vessels, although one line in the article said that most any boat would benefit from these tabs. The packages they talked about seemed a little pricey for my boat, but I wanted to find out if this is something that would benefit me. I mostly use the boat for pulling friends on wakeboards/skis/tubes on the local lake. I almost never use it for fishing. I hope this question does not sound that dumb, but I thought it might give me a little more speed and improve the ride. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SS182

Seaman
Re: Hydraulic/Electric Trim Tabs

DestinyEscape,<br /><br />I am in the same boat, pardon the pun. I would like to install some tabs on my 18' bowrider. Tabs will help you get on a plane faster and minimize bow rise... i.e. quicker out of the hole. Tabs also help you stay on a plane at a slower speed, which is often nice for wakeboarding. Many posters on this board like Bennett. The m80 line would fit our needs well. Due to budget constraints I am going to try the cheap mans version... hydrofoil mounted to the cavitation plate of the leg. Hydrofoil Good luck in your decision.<br /><br />SS182

Strike 1

Cadet

I purchased Bennett trim tabs last year using the advice from this forum. They were easy to install and solved my problems of shifting weight and getting up on plane. This year I may add on the option that returns the tabs to the zero position when the motor is turned off so I always know where I'm starting from.<br /> Do a search on "trim tabs" and read what everyone has to say about them. I use the search often and found the answers I needed without having to post a question.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

DestinyEscape<br />I read the same artical but would not count on more speed or fuel mileage. I have Bennett hydrolic trim tabs on my boat and is the best thing I have ever installed but did not increse speed or mileage. They will let you get on plane faster, stay on plane at a much lower speed, level boat for wind or load conditions, trim boat for best ride and motor for best speed. For a ski boat you will need a good swim platform, reason I say that is do stick out behind boat and edges are kinda sharp so do not want feet and legs hitting them when geting on board. Only place I see a fuel savings is when running in ocean or big lake where chop too big to run 20mph to stay on plane I can slow doen to 9 and stay on plane for a much nicer ride.<br />One thing kinda of fun is when get a chick or friend that has never been on your boat when get ready to go adjust tabs to make their side of boat low then note how low that side of boat is and ask to trade places with a bigger person on other side, as they do this adjust tabs to make other side low to make it look like they have a weight problem.

Bondo

Staff member

A set of Tabs will make your boat handle like it's Two Feet longer, Pop up on plane, Plane at lower speeds, I Can't Think of Any Downsides....<br />Bennetts, Are the Only Tabs to consider.. IF you EVER have a problem, Their customer service, Is Just That.... I've seen Tabman send a replacement pump to a customer, replacing a 5 year old unit... There are None Other,Better....<br />Over at Boatered.com, George will sell you a set at a Great price.... Tell'm Bondo sent you....

magster65

Commander

I'll second what these guys are telling you. By thier design they can only push the bow down, port, starboard or together, they can't raise the bow any further than it goes presently. Being able to keep the bow down does give you the ability to stay on plane down to an amazingly low speed. Trim tabs benefit larger aft heavy boats the most.

mellocj

Seaman

hey destiny, just saying 'hi'. I noticed you're also in Raleigh :) send me an email mark@tqhosting.com , i'd like to talk about the boat ramps with you.