HVLP Question.

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought an Hlvp spray gun from Home Depot recently and have some questions about it .I hope some one can help.<br /><br />I'm trying to spray some oil based enamel but am having to thin it down so much it makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong.<br /><br />Reading the can in many cases states "Thinning not reccomended". How in the world does one get the paint through the gun?<br /><br />Any suggestions from any painters?----Thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: HVLP Question.

I was under the impression that HVLP was a finish gun for auto finishes. I did not think they were for home house paint. But yes the paint has to be thin and pre filtered before you run it through the gun.

KRS

Banned

Just by the namesake of HVLP, I can see that in order for the gun to spray a high volume with a low pressure, the material needs to be quite thin. If it were thick (oil based enamel) it wouldn't flow as well.<br /><br />Either the gun has interchangeable nozzles for different sizes of materials and flow rates (like my airless paint gun) or like Bob wrote... it's for auto paint and not house paint.<br /><br />I purchased their Magnum 3000 psi Airless Paint Sprayer ($498) and painted my house.... LOVED IT. Mine is for sale...... :) :rolleyes:

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

I've got an HVLP and can verify that the paint has to be thinned. Like any good paint job the paint goes on in thin coats and with oil-based enamel I would wait until the first coat is set but not dry before I add the next coat. If you let the paint dry between coats you will need to sand as well. Chief ;)

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the responses.<br /><br />Bob-VT, I was useing the gun to paint my outdrive.But after thinning the paint so much I must have changed the paint chemistry or something. After putting it in the water the paint was no longer shiny, it became dull.<br /><br />azfyrfyter,--I use a C.H. airless for the house. I sure agree with you that they are great for that type of painting. <br /><br />Chief,--I was using Rustoleum High Gloss Black. I thinned it with mineral spirits.

dolluper

Captain

Thin it with gas and it will shine like crazy BUT DON"T SMOKE .........BOOM!!!!!!

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

You did good, use the same thinner that is used in the manufacture of the paint. I've never had good fortune with Rustoleum, well, other than the black, for coverage. I've found that this brand just seems to chip and lose it's shine easily. I do use a lot of Rustoleum metal primers tho with success. Chief ;)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Why not hit an automotive paint store and paint it with auto paint and add in a hardener. I doubt it will dull then. OR hit the auto paint store and get some clear rts (ready to spray) and clear coat it a few times. I bet three coats will give it a deep shine.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Hey Safari, I think part of your problem is spray tip size. Do you know what yours is? I bought a Devillbis setup that came with four different nozzles. Off the top of my head they are .011-.013-.015 & .018. <br /><br />I have not found a paint that I could not spray with just 10 15% thinning. Don't despair about HVLP. It is the best thing since.....

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks again guys for the the input.<br /><br />dolluper: I never heard of thinning with gas, is that safe?<br /><br />After posting my original question, I walked past the outdrive, looked at it and wondered if some rubbing compound might work. I tried a little and, "Voila" the shine came back! I think that now maybe what I should do is try to wax it and see if it will stay shiny. I don't know if it will though, it being under water and all. Salt water to boot. Oh well, worth a try.<br /><br />I still have my spraying problem though.<br /><br />Boomyal, I'm going to check that nozzle size and see what it is. My gun only had the one tip and I don't know if others are available. Maybe I should have bought a gun like yours to begin with then I wouldn't be having these problems. <br /><br />I tried increasing my compressor output but from what I understand the gun itself is responsible for reducing the pressure at the tip to about 12psi or so. Anyway, Thanks everyone.