HVLP gravity feed spray gun Recomendation

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
At some point I am going to start the restoration of my 78 mariner, I know I am putting the cart before the horse on this question, but the sprayer is currently on sale.

Has anyone used a HVLP gravity feed spray gun to paint there aluminum boat. Kit consist of 34 pieces for $60

Thanks

Wayne

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: HVLP gravity feed spray gun Recomendation

Run!!!!!!

Those are not of good quality. Cheap guns fo not atomize properly and leave tons of orange peel or runs. You will be unable to acheive a proper finish without TONS of labor and wetsanding. Devilbiss makes a good gun in the 200-300 range. try autobodystore.com

Len is very knowledgable. Tell him what you want to accomplish and he can help you select the proper one.

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks

I have a buddy who is in the car paiting buissness, I will just ask him to do it then. No sense throwing good money away for nothing.

Thanks again

Wayne

mscher

Lieutenant

I used one of the HVLP guns from Harbor Freight, to paint a steel horse trailer. Where the metal was smooth, the paint was smooth.

Painted just fine.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The cheaper guns are great for the epoxy primer's but for the final finish ......more of an upscale gun is needed.

Laddies

Banned

My son bought a cheap kit from Auto Value 3 guns for $99.95 T thought he was nuts, he has used them on cars and boats, with reds, blacks and varnish and the finish has been great. He is a painter and did not want to use his better equipment out of the shop. He says a fancy gun won't make up for a poor painter.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I used a $169.00 DeVilllbis kit that I got off ebay. It came with 4 different nozzle sizes for base paints to heavier primers.

I did a basecoat/clear coat job on my son's first car. It came out great and I am not even a painter.

You need lots of compressor CFM to run them properly. Never could figure out why in the end, you choke it down to 20 psi at the gun, not at the compressor.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've used high dollar guns in the past. I rarely do any spray painting. The one I have from Harbor Freight takes a little learning curve but it worked pretty good. Girlfriend got stupid and bought the one off of t.v. that has the little electric blower/compressor. She paid more than twice the price and it gets no better results. Difference is that mine is all metal and durable and her's is a piece of plastic crap.