Hurricanes, Earthquakes....

The South

Cadet
With today's quake in California, and the recent rash of hurricanes...what's this world coming to?<br />Next thing you know, we'll have presidential debates looming on the horizon......<br /> :eek:

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hurricanes, Earthquakes....

Today's quake was interesting, but not especially significant. Felt it alright, but little damage near the epicenter, none outside that tiny area. If I remember my geology, a six is ten times stronger than a five. And a seven is ten times stronger than a six. If Kerry wins the debates and election I'd have to rate it a devastating 8, personally. I sure hope & pray Bush can come across well. More importantly, I hope those observing will be intelligent and discerning enough to tell the difference between the debate show, the network's follow-up commentaries, and reality as it pertains to both candidates.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Rang up 5.75" of rain this afternoon from the remnants of Jeanne. Creeks looking mighty mean this evening.<br /><br />I should have stood in bed.<br /><br />Jinx

KaGee

Admiral

How about another volcano eruption on St. Helens???

tylerin

Commander

You have to take what Mother Nature gives you. I've lived in Florida w/ Hurricanes where you have some warning, I grew up in Ohio with Tornados came as well, I live in Ca. now where Earthquakes come suddenly. None are good but like I said its Mother Nature, and nothing you can do. Terrorism on the other hand is something we can try to illiminate

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

I don't know why California don't just outlaw those nasty thangs. Or at least put stickers and signs up...it just don't make sense that they outlaw some guns and not earthquakes...just a thought :)

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Chief 101,<br />If our brilliant California legislature were to outlaw earthquakes it would just get tied up in courts for the next 5 years. The way to get rid of them for good would be to instead force them to go through all the bureaucracy of getting permits and posting notices the legally required time in advance before the occur. They'd have to get engineering approval and probably a zoning variance, and file an Environmental Impact Report. Then they'd have to certify that they would never spill or release (or cause to be spilled or released) any toxic or hazardous materials including naturally occuring ones like asbestos. Then there would have to be an agreement to fully reimburse everyone filing damage claims (including those filed by foreign nationals who have never even stepped foot on California soil). Then funding would have to be provided for several academic and government studies. Etc. etc. etc. (You get the picture...) :D ;) :D No one having a choice in the matter would ever submit themselves to all that. No wonder why Calif. is once again losing business (its tax base!)