Hurricane TV coverage

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
I know its real, but I just turned off the Weather Channel (in fact the whole TV), because of the staged crap from these reporters. Ya get little cynical when you see a garbage can in the middle of the road (big blue square type that doesn't roll), just as a cop comes down the road, gets out of the car, gives the camera man a dirty look, and proceeds to move it back, and as you follow the camera, in the background are 5 or more sitting just fine up against a building. Trees aren't even hardly moving. And of course the reporter getting blown all over, but the cameraman doesn't even jiggle. At least toss some water on the lens for effect. :D

Trent

Captain
Re: Hurricane TV coverage

I understand Robby... They missed this one somehow.. Im right in the middle of it here and it was not anything like the last one. WeatherChannel was wrong..And so were some others. Im glad!

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer

The sad thing is, you can almost see and hear their disappointment that the storm isn't as severe as they had predicted. Thank God it isn't.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Even Fox News interupted normal programming to drone on and on about nothing. Even if the storm had been worse, the coverage would have been overkill. But I guess it is no different than any other event in recent times.<br /><br />If the American Public would get wise and just turn everything off, they wouldn't get so saturated by all of the bad news which is usually magnified all out of proportion, if by nothing else, at least by pure volume.

cart7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was watching Fox news, some knucklehead had driven a HumV up Hwy 98 towards Navarre where the eye was about an hour away from landfall. They didn't get far as the gulf was beginning to overwash the highway. The idiot is standing in about 6" of water in 40 - 50mph sustained winds describing how he and his cameraman can't go any farther because the water depth in the road was to deep further down but that he feld safe because he was in a HumV.<br /><br />Good grief, a future Darwin award winner right there.<br /><br />I found it fitting that reporters took the time to show the TV news van turned over and buried in the sand down at Navarre beach this morning. Though none seem to be willing to admit that the crew manning that van were complete dumb F's for even being at ground zero where a cat 3 hurricane was coming ashore.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Stephanie Abrams can do ANY weather, and she has my full attention. WoooooHooooo.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Last year one of the local idiots here waded into ankle deep water to show you how high the storm surge was. And he was really hamming it up on the 50 MPH winds.<br /><br />What a bunch of idiots.<br /><br />Ken

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Them reporters do a good job of getting just close enuff to the bad stuff without getting in deep doo-doo... Usually...<br /><br />I want to see some weather reporter clown try to just stand up in an area with no cover in a SUSTAINED 80, 90, or 100+mph wind... fly fly away!.... Now that's reality TV for ya...

jamesgreen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They should b made to watch what they report. If they had to sit through what we do I think we would see some changes. Our local news guy had to go to Fl. this time to report on Dennis. We are in the middle of TN. I just don't get it?

D

DJ

Posted by Boomyal. <br /><br />
If the American Public would get wise and just turn everything off, they wouldn't get so saturated by all of the bad news which is usually magnified all out of proportion, if by nothing else, at least by pure volume.<br /><br />
Yea right. That would include-THOUGHT. That is not something we've taught, in our schools, for decades. :( <br /><br />We love disasters, blood, anything that drives primal dersires.

Stratosfied

Ensign

Heres something to ponder on this. Around here, all (most) of the radio stations go on the Gulf Coast Storm Alert Network. They do a really good job of keeping everyone informed about shelters and such. After the storm, they let us know about which factories and businesses will be either open or closed, so all in all, they do provide a valuable service. BUT, most all of them pair with the local TV weather folks, which are trying to do the TV weather and are being braodcast on the radio, and the TV folks are saying stuff like, " the most servere winds are going to hit this area in the next 20-30 minutes". Where is this area??? I realize that they are pointing to a map but for the life of me I get so ticked off as I don't know where this area is! :( I just wish they would name the location that they are talking about. And I agree that they can really upset some people with the "gloom and doom' reporting.

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was watching one of the news channels on and off during Hurricane Dennis, not sure if it was Fox or CNN, but it was the one that had the broadcaster Andrew something or the other. He mentioned in one of his broadcasts that he had seen or talked to some amateur storm chasers who were also out in the weather. Minutes later the network cut back to the main news desk and one of the first things out of the mouth of the lady there was, I can't believe all of those idiots are out in that storm (or something similar). Immediately after, she realized what she had said and added, of course I am talking about those storm chasers and not our newsmen. I said, to no one in particular, lady you got it right the first time. Got a good laugh out of that one! :D :D :D

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

I saw Geraldo Rivera bust his a$$ draging a large tree limb, into what looked to me like, what was going to be his background picture. <br /><br />LaughedMAO because, this thread was already running at the time it happened.<br /><br /> :D :D :D