Hurricane Season Outlook for the Gulf Coast

LadyFish

Admiral
The 2004 hurricane season is upon us June 1st through November.<br /><br />NOAA’s 2004 Atlantic hurricane season outlook indicates a 50% probability of an above-normal hurricane season, a 40% probability of a near-normal season, and a 10% chance of a below-normal season, according to a consensus of scientists at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) Climate Prediction Center (CPC), the Hurricane Research Division (HRD), and the National Hurricane Center (NHC). <br /><br />The outlook calls for 12-15 tropical storms, with 6-8 becoming hurricanes, and 2-4 of these becoming major hurricanes. These numbers reflect a predicted ACE index in the range of 100%-160% of the median, and indicate a likely continuation of above-normal activity that began in 1995.<br /><br />The predicted 2004 activity is based primarily on the ongoing active phase of the Atlantic multi-decadal signal, but also reflects expected warmer sea surface temperatures (SSTs) in the tropical Atlantic and Caribbean Sea than can be accounted for by the multi-decadal signal alone. The outlook also reflects the likelihood that ENSO-neutral conditions (no El Niño or La Niña) will continue through August-October, the peak months of the hurricane season. An updated hurricane outlook will be issued in early August.<br /><br />An interesting graph.<br /> http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/outlooks/figure4.gif <br /><br />2004 Storm Names<br /><br />Alex<br />Bonnie<br />Charley<br />Danielle<br />Earl<br />Frances<br />Gaston<br />Hermine<br />Ivan<br />Jeanne<br />Karl <br />Lisa <br />Matthew<br />Nicole <br />Otto <br />Paula <br />Richard <br />Shary <br />Tomas <br />Virginie<br />Walter <br /><br />Since 1953, Atlantic tropical storms have been named from lists originated by the National Hurricane Center and now maintained and updated by an international committee of the World Meteorological Organization . The lists featured only women's names until 1979, when men's and women's names were alternated. Six lists are used in rotation. Thus, the 2003 list will be used again in 2009.

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Hurricane Season Outlook for the Gulf Coast

Who has the time to argue over the name of a storm? I'm usually seeking high ground. BTW, Ladyfish, I see a small orginization in the gulf south of Lousianna. I hope it doesn't form...

LadyFish

Admiral

Been watching that disturbance pretty close trblshtr. They don't expect further development however, its a big rain producer. It dropped over 10 inches on the Yucatan. Louisiana, Mississppi and Florida are expected to get plenty of tropical moisture from the gulf the next few days. Our tides are running about a foot above normal, but not much rain yet.

gaugeguy

Captain

I see the NAACP didn't get it's way by having more african-american storm names...I was really looking forward to hurricane LaKeisha :)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I cant wait to see Wayne Dolcefino (local TV reporter) take off his shoes and socks, wade into the 2 ft tidal surge, and pretend to fight the 70 mph winds again!!!<br /><br />It was comical last year!!!<br /><br />Ken

LadyFish

Admiral

ROTFL Ken. And, you know thats the one the weather channel always plays during storm stories.
6.gif

SoulWinner

Commander

I feel for you guys over in Texas. It seems like storm track probabilities always favor your part of the coast, from the Yucatan to Louisiana. I hope none of us get clobbered this season.