hurricane damaged boats

arboatdr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, the boating season is slowing down a bit and it's time to stock up on used parts and rebuild cores collected over the summer. Has anyone heard of great deals on hurricane damaged boats, engines, drives in the southern states? Would like to get a trailer load of mercruiser drives and newer outboards. Key words "great deals" Thanks , Dino

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: hurricane damaged boats

Most are up on internet auctions. USA Auctions I believe. And Ebay. And going for a ton of money. Really unbelievable. Not saying there arent any deals but the best are long gone from here. <br /><br />Go to www.boattraderonline.com and you'll see some.

arboatdr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Dhadley, a day late and a dollar short agian. Dino

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

looks like a ton of junk electrical parts again just like after hugo.andrew and floyd. buyer beware :)

arboatdr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

<< throwns away electrical parts, mainly interested in drives, transom assy, blocks. Wouldn't put a used electrical or ignition component on if it was the only part I had to sell.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I am with you. but we get so many customers that say I just put a new one on it and it turns out it was a new to "that" motor one. if I see anything I will let ya know. after I pick through it :) :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Boats.

BillP

Captain

The uninsured boats went cheap and were gone the first day or two. Owners couldn't pay to have them salvaged and the salvage companies didn't work them because they were cherry picking expensive rigs first. I spoke with one yard owner who was given titles to three 35' sailboats from uninsured owners. The boats weren't worth salvage or repair costs. <br /><br />I looked at a dry storage marina in Grant, Fl where the metal building fell down and all the stacked boats on top of each other...maybe 150 outboards and IO size boats. Most of the hulls/decks were damaged but motors ok. The salvor told me this batch was going to a storage yard in Ft.Pierce for the adjustors to evaluate. He said there are 4 storage yards between Ft.Pierce and Melbourne that hold most of the damaged boats. I also went to Ft.Pierce and saw another few hundred larger (30'-60')boats damaged.<br />Pro repair companies are bidding on whole lots and getting the best deals. Those guys are putting high asking prices on those boats.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Glad I live in the midwest. The photos I saw of the damage to vessels was really ugly

BillP

Captain

I believe the hurricane boats, along with people spending extra cash to repair their homes, has put a dent in used boat sales. I've been looking for a sailboat and now see asking prices (in the $10-$20K range)dropping in the Florida BoatTrader. The hurricane cost me about $8k which WAS in the "buy a sailboat kitty". Now the boat purchase is downsized by $8k. I'm not alone.