Hurricane Comparisons

eeboater

Commander
I'm in Overland Park, KS all week on business. I've been sitting here in the hotel lobby watching the news channels show everything down there... I'm just stunned. Is this the way Andrew was? I was too young to remember how that Hurricane was - I didn't pay attention to current events back then.<br /><br />I just sit and think about how its going to affect people down there... School, college... life was about to begin down there. I'm imagining all the people who moved down there to start a new job. <br /><br />I'm also seeing all the Bridges that collapesed, buildings without windows, boats sunk, roads destroyed, life lost, entertainment districts destroyed, airports destroyed...the list is endless. It's amazing we can bounce back from things like this. But I know we will.<br /><br />These people are going to have quite the process ahead of them. And I wish them all the luck. I know God is watching over them.<br /><br />Sean

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Hurricane Comparisons

I think Andrew was mostly destruction from wind.<br /><br />Most of the area of Louisiana where Katrina came through is only a few feet above sea level. That means the storm surge did a lot of damage and we all know water is more powerful than wind.<br /><br />The still havent mentioned anything about all the small towns in the path. These towns were built on swamp land and surrounded by bayous. I am certain they are just completly gone.<br /><br />Ken<br /><br />Ken

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Katrina was worse than Andrew but not as deadly as the un-named hurricane that hit Galveston in 1900.<br /><br />Katrina has done massive wind damage and supermassive water damage. Biloxi and New Orleans may not recover. . .ever. Some Mississippi coast towns are wiped off the map. . .just gone.<br /><br />The 1900 hurricane killed from 6,000 to 8,000 people, depending on whose history you read, because there was no warning, no evacuation. Without the warning and evacuation Katrina might have killed ten times that many.<br /><br />If you count damage and not lives lost Katrina is the worst natural disaster in our history. :( <br /><br />Whitt, TX was a small city in 1906. On July 4th, 1906 a tornado wiped out about 80% of the town. It never recovered. Now it is an unincorporated rural community of 35. The same could happen to New Orleans and Biloxi.

eeboater

Commander

Wow, I never really thought about that fact yet. <br /><br />Actually, its already impacting MY life. We have a branch office in Metairie, LA. That is basically a suburb of New Orleans. The rep who had an office in that town is now taking refuge in his MIL's house in Florida. He is now setting up shop in that town instead of going back home. He is planning on spending the next 4 months there.<br /><br />I have to order new computer equipment for him because he is afraid that it is all lost. If it wasn't taken by Katrina, it will probably be taken by the countless jacka**es in the area looting.<br /><br />Sean