Hurricane Charley - Still No Power!!!! Need Cool Links

matthews_jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks GOD: family is OK! In-laws are OK! Family and in-laws home are basically OK too!<br /><br />Because of hurricane Charley, I have now been without electrical power for over 130 hours. I can't cool off, but with some help from some iboats posters, I might get some 'cooling' links. I just wish I could receive ice water via email.<br /><br />I have lots of cuts and scratches on arms and legs from cutting and removing numerous trees and branches from roads and sister’s yard, sister-in-law yard, neighbors’ yards, and my yard. This afternoon headed to church to chain saw 2 or 3 trees before they fall on a/c units.<br /><br />Bass boat made out OK, but engine will not start and trolling motor does work. Checked out the batteries and seem OK. Wish I could fix so I could go fishing for a few hours to get my mind off of the mess.

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hurricane Charley - Still No Power!!!! Need Cool Links

Hey, Jim, sorry you don't have electricity, but so you know, we've sent 25 electric crews from Ohio to Fl to help in the restoration effort.<br />From FPL's website:<br />August 19, 2004<br />Restoration crews continue working around the clock; 761,000 FPL customers have electric service back on <br /><br />MIAMI, Fla . – Florida Power & Light Company reported more progress overnight as crews continued to reduce the number of its customers without power in the aftermath of Hurricane Charley. <br /><br />Although yesterday’s efforts were hampered by severe thunderstorms and lightning, the company has now restored power to 761,000 of the 874,000 customers affected by the storm, leaving 113,000 still without power. The restoration work continues non-stop as the company focuses on making repairs, rebuilding and restoring service in areas ravaged by the powerful storm. <br /><br />Hurricane Charley: August 19, 2004 – 5:30 a.m.

LadyFish

Admiral

Jim sorry to hear your still suffering the aftermath of the storm. Glad to know your okay with the exception of cuts, bruises and living without air conditioning. The good news is you have internet access.<br /><br />This link will keep you posted on any developing storms.<br /><br />Cool Tropical Weather Link<br /><br />Hang in there. :)

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I know what your going through. Last year Isabel took me out of power for 5 days, and I'm not even near the water. I'm next to the Blue Ridge Mts.!<br /><br />As a teenager I went through Camille in Gulfport Miss. back in 1969. <br /><br />After the initial shock wears off, the frustration level and discomfort and sense of loss really starts to get to you.<br /><br />Good Luck to you, and everyone else down there.<br /><br />Jinx

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've been without since the storm as well. My area got hit pretty hard. Fortunately my house fared well although my well equipment got trashed due to my ex-oak tree falling on the shed it lived in. The local power company has been working on the lines in Kissimme, but the amount of power poles snapped in half in my area is pretty dissapointing. We are hoping we will have power by the end of the weekend. <br /><br />Fortunately we have good friends that have a house out on the east coast that the family relocated to. Its an hour drive to work, but other than that its good. I have barely started reclaiming my yard, but will have to start soon.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Glad you made it through OK and know how you feel about the power outage. After Frederic, we went almost three weeks without power. The upside was that I got to know some of my neighbors for the first time because we were all sharing cookouts to use the food in our freezers before it spoiled. What was really surprising to me when the power came back on was how noisy the neighborhood got all of a sudden. I hadn't realized how quiet it had been at night with no TV's , AC's running, stereos , boom booxes, etc. I would be interested in hearing if you have a similar experience.<br /> Jinx, if you went through Camille, you are the ultimate hurricane person. Here in Mobile, 60 miles away, we had 100 MPH winds that night. The damage was terrible along the Misisippi coast. Like nothing I've ever seen.

LadyFish

Admiral

Here's a cool site that might come in handy while making repairs. I use the site a lot and found it very helpful. :) <br /><br />Doityourself.com

matthews_jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, 150 hours and counting. Still no power!!!!<br /><br />Thanks for the different links. The icebergs do give one a cooling feeling. The ‘do-it-yourself’ site will get use too. Bush takes them all down.<br /><br />Still hot but hanging in there!!! Neighbors have been helping each other. I’m sill cutting trees for others and completed most of the down trees at my church yesterday afternoon/evening. One tree is on an Orlando Utility power pole. I will leave that one for the professionals as there are live wires. Someone loaned me a camping generator (12.5 amps/1500 watts). It runs my frig (cold water to drink), a fan (moving air), and if I need, a light (give off too much heat) with no problem. It will run 3 to 4 hours before needing gas so in the middle of the night I get up to refuel. Wife is a teacher in Kissimmee (Horizon Middle School) and she goes back to work today (kids return next Monday). They (the teachers) are going to checkout their rooms for damage and readiness for their kids return. She also teaches Sunday school and ministers to the seniors at our church. We have a commercial size ice maker and she has been taking ice and sandwiches to them the past several days. Yes, I do have a great wife that is very caring and giving.<br /><br />Scooch, daughter and son-in-law just bought a home in Remington. They got their power back 2 days ago. It is a 2 story house and 90% to 95% of second story soffits were blown off, a lot the insulation blown out, and most of the fascia board on the back of the 2nd story is gone. They are OK but now are starting to deal with the insurance company. Hurricane ins. deductible in Florida is 2% of property value. This is going to be ruff on a lot of people. Great news; our church needs also all the roof replaced. Churches are commercial and the normal deductible applies. The insurance adjuster has been very cooperative and understanding. All water damage and repairs will be taken care of and covered by the churches insurance. Thanks you GOD!!! Now the hard part; find a roofer to do the work.<br /><br />Again, thanks for the links and concern.<br /><br />Jim in Orlando – I survived Charley