Hunt training. I'm in hot water w/ family

tylerin

Commander
Well I've done every bit of training I personally can do for this guy. Its time to send Bullet off to Hunt/training school for the next 3 1/2 months. Nobody in the house will speak with me (wife and kids). This dog was born to hunt. I can't deprive him of that. He's 7 months old.
album_pic.php

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: Hunt training. I'm in hot water w/ family

If your gonna be shut-off for something, this is a good reason ;)

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Pretty dog, I always had a thing for labs.

NYMINUTE

Captain

You could get a puppy to cover for him while he is on hiatus-training. Just a thought. Then send him for training when #1 comes home. You win 2 hunters, and maybe a roll in hay?

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

why ya sending him off to a 'pro' tylerin??<br /><br />have you delt with the man/woman before?

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by Kenneth Brown:<br /> Pretty dog, I always had a thing for labs.
Not gonna touch that with a 10' pole! :eek: <br /><br /> :p

tylerin

Commander

Barlow it comes down to time. All my hunting dogs have been pro-trained. They have all been just absolute great dogs in the field. I've seen alot of home-trained dogs and they just don't hold a candle. Don't get me wrong I work this pup almost every day. I've read hundreds (literally) of books over the years. Yes I do know the guy. He's already been to a puppy head start program for a month and has incredible skills. Field work, Blind work, multiple retrieves, force fetch, it gets intense and thats what i want out of my dogs. I miss the guy already

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Wow, I did not know there was such a thing as hunting school for dogs. I have always found dogs with good breeding and hunting background and trained them myself in a matter of a few weeks. <br />Hunting is an instinct for dogs, if they don't have it they don't hunt well. Obedience is the big hurdle for hunting dogs. <br />I've trained and hunted 6 grand night champion Walker coon hounds and 2 champion redbone coon hounds. Also did bench show with one of the redbones ansd two walkers. Never spent a dime training, just a few hours working them a week. <br />I did buy one bird dog that was already trained. She didn't stay with me for very long. She was trained for someone else, not me. made her and me both frusterated every time we went out. But that was back when I had time and lived in the country where going hunting took 2 minutes to get ready and start hunting. Hope this one works well for you. Sounds like you got most of the work done.<br />How much this school cost? <br />Just my opinion.

cjones4@hvc.rr.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I see the problem in the picture. The first 2 months of training will be to break him of the habit of retrieving the decoys! ;) <br /><br /> Nice lab. Do you plan to compete in retriever trials or just hunt with him?

LadyFish

Admiral

Originally posted by Kenneth Brown:<br /> Pretty dog, I always had a thing for labs.
OMG,
shock.html
Who'da thunk it?<br /><br />Beautiful dog tylerin. :)

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

I'm with ya tylerin - was just wonderin' about it. I agree that the majority of 'home-trained' dogs aren't worth the food they eat when it come to the field too.. sometimes its the dog.. sometimes the owner shoulda recieved the training ;) <br /><br />Guess my point is (you could say opinion) that some have it and some don't.. point blank.<br /><br />If He's got "IT" - Great! <br />If the 'Pro' has "IT" - Great!<br /><br />Wish you luck with him tylerin! May the hands of time be kind to the family while he's away brushing up on his abilities!<br /><br />does the guy have a visitation plan set-up or is he of a different theory?

tylerin

Commander

Deputydog...Training a coon hound to hunt and training a lab to hunt are like black and white.Can't compare the two.<br />Mooner..LOL Yeah we were just working on fetching a dummy through decoys, he was doing good til it was over and I dropped one. I do plan to at least put a Junior Hunter title on him. Takes to many weekends. <br />Barlow.. I'll make the 3hr trip to visit him every other weekend. Its mandatory<br />Thanks for the input guys

FLATHEAD

Captain

Yo Tylerin,,,Glad to see Bullet is doing so well. He will be a pleasure to have in the blind this fall I am sure.

tylerin

Commander

Flathead Thanks and I'm glad all is well. I read your pre-edited post last night and agree that non pro-trained dogs can be very efficient. The natural instincts of a Lab (unlike most other hunting dogs) is not to hunt , but to please its owner, and retrieve. Labs have keen "Marking" abilities, but is far more difficult in the blind (as opposed to field hunting). A good Lab in the blind must sit still while ducks fly in and mark 2, 3 sometimes 4 ducks at a time, depending on how many hunters are in the blind. Alot of training goes into a Lab that looks straight down the barrel and Marks where the ducks have fallen, and has the patience to mark all birds. Bullet hunts well in the field on upland game, but that is only 40% of the hunting I do. I will go every 2 weeks and work all day with the trainer. I've never had a problem converting the training from the pro over to me. It takes all of about an hour. At 3 months we took Bullet to a trainer who introduced the gun, worked on "hunt em up", and retrieves. he quickly advanced to the adult dog program within that month. He's had about 40 pigeons shot over him and will have another 200 shot over him in training. Blind work, boat work, blind retrieves, multiples, force fetch,hunt em up (in close), marking skills, retrieve to hand, are just a Few things he'll learn and I demand. Bullet comes from pure hunting breed stock,( not your typical Westminister dog show Lab) so he has an edge. Or as Barlow put it he already has "It". Flathead sounds like your pup has "it" as well.